001. unplanned parenthood

You can tell me what your real job is. Even if you guys are like...male escorts or something.

you're watching: supernatural"cats in the cradle"0:01  ❍─────── 44:44   ↻     ⊲  Ⅱ  ⊳     ↺━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

you're watching:
supernatural
"cats in the cradle"
0:01 ❍─────── 44:44
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Find Dean Winchester. He is your father. He will know what to do. 866-907-3235."

Jupiter's heart thudded against her rib cage, pounding in time with the clock on the wall, which seemed to be ticking entirely too fast. She had known something was wrong the moment she had stepped through the door. The house was too quiet. Mariana de la Croix's car was parked in the driveway, but all telltale signs of her presence had vanished. The music that so often filled the house was gone, leaving what was once a home feeling like a ghost town.

A note was left on the kitchen counter, a faded photograph beside it. She read the note first, hardly able to breath as her eyes scanned her mother's unusually messy handwriting.

The photograph on the counter was old, the colors dull from years of exposure. It was worn in the middle, like it had been folded and unfolded thousands of times. It was of her mother and a man she didn't recognize. She'd place him as roughly 20, maybe a little younger. Flipping the card over, she saw Mariana's delicate handwriting reading, Dean Winchester, April 1998.

She knew about Dean Winchester, her father, a man of myth. She was five when she asked for the first time why all the other kids had mommies and daddies and she only had a mommy. Mariana had told her that she did have a daddy, but that he was out protecting the world from monsters.

When she was fourteen and no longer believed in monsters in her closets or under her bed, she asked her mother again about Dean. She received the same answer, he was saving the world and fighting monsters. She asked if that was a metaphor, trying to gain any information about the missing hole in her life, but her mother had just gotten a far off look in her eyes and shook her head.

She'd never known what he looked like, but on days when rain poured from the sky, she liked to imagine what he was like. She knew she looked just like her mother, she never failed to hear it from anyone she met. "Identical," they would marvel. "A spitting image!"

The only thing they didn't have in common was their eyes. Mariana had warm chocolate brown and Jupiter had emerald green. She liked to believe they were her father's eyes.

There were nights where she cursed Dean Winchester, the man who left them. Some nights she would cry so hard she'd have to cover her mouth so she wouldn't wake her mother up. She'd wake up the next morning feeling guilty. Mariana did her best and Jupiter loved her more than anything, but the father-shaped hole in her heart remained.

She knew something was wrong as soon as she walked into the empty house. Her mother always told her ahead of time if she would be home late, or if she was going out. She'd even call if she found herself stuck at work, unable to be home at her usual time.