"Stay close." Daryl said and led the way.

"this close enough?" i asked, moving back almost being hit with daryl's crossbow.

"Just remember the spot, in case we get split up. All right?" Daryl turned to look at me.

Dog began growling, seeing a dead deer on the ground. I wanted to hunt while being out in the woods, but things have been getting short with not many deer around.

Daryl led the way to the river, deciding the two of us could catch some fish instead.

"Not much happening out here. Maybe we should've gone the other way." Daryl looked around.

"We should try getting some fish before moving on." i tied my shoe lace.

"You ever spearfished before?" Daryl asked.

"nope, but worth the shot." i stood next to him.

"what? You don't think i can't? Gimme that." i said taking the spear.

There were a few leaves at the end of the spear, taking my fingers and pulling them off and dropped the leaves onto the ground. Daryl chuckled at me, as he stood beside me.

I walked down to the river, holding onto a tree for balance. I stood just at the edge of the water, waiting for a fish to swim by.

"watch this disaster, right here." Daryl spoke to dog. I saw a fish swim up, quickly stabbing it with the spear. "Ha!" i cheered, and got excited.

"No way." Daryl said not believing i had actually got a fish my first try.

"I did it." i showed him the fish.

"That's beginners luck." Daryl smirked.

I stabbed another fish, the two of us walking off, and sitting on a log. Daryl had his knife out as he was cutting up the fish. He kept glancing over at me every few seconds, watching me fillet the fish.

"you don't think i'm doing it right?" i asked.

"Just try cutting closer to the bone." Daryl looked over again.

"Why don't you do it yourself? Not sure i'm really doing it right." i tried handing the fish to him.

"it's fine. Really. We should go. It's gonna get dark soon, anyway." Daryl looked at the sky.

𓆩♱ 🖤₊˙ 🔪 ♱𓆪

Dog ran off again, barking while doing so which caught our attention, jogging after him to see what he had seen or smelled. "Dog!" Daryl yelled both of us running after him.

Dog came to a stop, eventually walking around a Cabin as he sniffed the ground. Daryl stared at the little cabin for a bit, slowly walking toward it.

"You coming?" i asked.

He stood there at the steps, just looking at the cabin. I had already gone inside, looking around to see if there was anything useful. Dog walked around, so did daryl when he finally came inside.

He stood in the bedroom, looking out the window for a little while. His body language was a little off ever since he first saw the cabin.

"good boy." i said to dog.

I pulled out my knife, using it to lift up a couple loose boards in the floor. There was an opening with a box, and piece of paper inside.

I pulled the small box out along with the piece of paper. Daryl stood in the doorway, watching me, not saying a word.

He slowly walked out just when i started to unfold the piece of paper, seeing some writing on it. It was a note.

I belong with you
FIND ME

i've seen this handwriting before.

"You've been here before?" i asked, looking up at daryl and saw it was his hand writing.

He nodded his head yes, with a sad expression on his face. "It was a long time ago." He looked over at me.

Daryl walked outside, taking his crossbow and backpack off, sitting it onto the porch.

"Something happened here. This place. It means something to you, doesn't it?" i asked him.

"There was a girl. Her name was Leah Shaw. Accidentally came across her cabin. Thought maybe she would kill me, but she let me go." Daryl explained.

"This Cabin?" i asked.

He nodded his head at me as he rested his hand on the wood.

"what happened?" i asked.

"I liked her. Things were good with her, sometimes. But i left, came back and she was gone." Daryl looked at the ground.

"You cared about her." i looked at him.

"yeah.. I did." He looked at me again.

"I'm sorry." i said softly.

"i should've been there. I could've helped her." Daryl said looking out into the distance.

"is she still alive?" i asked.

"I don't know." He answered.

I felt tears form into my eyes, quickly wiping them away since i didn't want daryl to see that i was a little upset. He still cares about this woman, but i can't help but to have feelings for him. Hearing about Leah made me wonder if he even had feelings for me at all.

Seems like he's not over her just yet.

"i made a mistake." Daryl stood there.

"yeah, i think i made one too." i wiped my cheek as my voice cracked.

daryl turned to look at me again, seeing me wipe the tear from my cheek and turned around and walked away, going back inside the Cabin. I was hurt. Hearing how he spoke about her. It upset me. Made me feel as though he didn't want the same thing i wanted.

I liked him, a lot. He's always been there for me as i've been there for him. Since the start, after getting to know me a little more, he always protected, Still protects me..

I want to wake up in the middle of the night with his arms wrapped around me, finally feeling safe with him protecting me.

Daryl is the older and wiser person i've always wanted to look after me, and teach me everything he knows.

- what will happen next?
- is this where their relationship ends before it can really start?

- 1,292 words