Chapter Five

[Warning: Mentions of Violence, Mentions of Death]

I wake up feeling refreshed for the first time in months. I look at the time on my phone to see it is barely eleven in the morning. I take my time getting ready for the day, my mind going back to the conversation I had the night before with Steve and Eddie. They are so willing to help me despite barely even knowing me, yet there is this feeling, there is this pulling, yearning feeling that is drawing me to the pair. I grab my phone and set it on speakerphone as I wait for Eddie to answer my call as I go about making myself breakfast. “Mornin’ darlin’.”, Eddie’s sleep-filled voice fills the kitchen, the tone sends a shiver down my spine. “Hey Eddie, um…I was calling to let you know that I want to take up your and Steve’s offer to help me get more control on what I am.”, I explain.

I hear him yawn softly through the call, “Awesome, awesome. Just let me know when you’re ready and Steve and I will set up a time for you to come over.”, he states. I take the call off speaker and settle it in the crook of my neck as I carry my plate of food to the kitchen table, “Cool, I was going to call Steve and let him know, if it is okay for the both of you maybe we can start after my job interview.”, I add. He hums in response, “Sounds good to me. Good luck out there.”, he tells me before we end the call. I set my phone back on speakerphone and set it in front of my plate to call Steve. It rings a few times before his voice comes through, “Morning Y/n.”, he greets. “Hey Steve, um…I just called Eddie to let him know that I want to take your and Eddie’s offer to help me get more control. He is okay with meeting up after my job interview today, is that cool?”, I ask.

I hear a soft shuffling coming from his end as he moves about wherever he is, “Yeah, that’s cool with me. Just let us know where.”, he states. Just like Eddie, he wishes me good luck for my job interview before ending the call. I finish breakfast slowly, still getting used to eating actual human food after a handful of months not doing so. I slide my phone into my bag and my keys from the table beside my apartment door before heading out to my interview. I am still skeptical and nervous about getting a job at the supernatural bar in town, but Eri has assured me the owner is a good friend of her’s and knows they will look after me. The drive across town only takes me about ten minutes from my apartment. I sling my bag over my shoulder once I have parked and exit my car.

There is an early lunch crowd in the bar once I enter the building, the lighting isn’t too bright to blind the beings whose eyesight is heightened, but it is also not too dim for those who don’t have night vision. I finally make it to the bar in the center of the spacious room after I take in the sights of the bar around me, “Morning darling’, what can I get for ya?”, I am greeted by a lean, olive skinned young woman, her eyes are a bright shade of blue as she looks at me with a warm smile, her Irish accent is thick and as smooth as honey. “Hi, I’m Y/n Parker, I am here for my interview with Silas, the owner.”, I tell her. Her eyes brighten more at my name, “Ah yes, he mentioned you were coming in, you’re one of Eri’s proteges aren’t ya?”, she asks me. I give her a quick nod, “Yes Ma’am.”, I reply politely.

She chuckles softly while shaking her head, “Please call me Dianna dear, I will let him know you are here. Would you like something to drink while you wait?”, she offers. “Water will work for me please.”, I tell her, she gives a nod before filling a tall glass with water and sets it in front of me. She leaves only for a moment, I let my eyes look around the room again, taking in details I missed on my first look about. My attention is brought back before me when I see her return with a tall, built man beside her. His short chestnut brown hair is slightly slicked back, there are trails of gray that run along the sides of his head beside his ear. His crimson red eyes squint as he smiles at me, “Good Morning Y/n, welcome to The Hypnotic. Eri told me so much about you, she assures me you are the best at what you can do.”, he states matter of factly.