000

Jefferson picked his way through the thick undergrowth, while Mary Margret followed behind in his footsteps. She clutched Emma's gun in her hands and kept her eyes trained on his back. They had been silent most of the way, neither knowing what to say to the other.

They came across a branch that had fallen in their path. Jefferson lifted it out of the way and stepped to the side, gesturing for Mary Margret to pass. She paused and then insisted, "After you."

He hesitated and looked at her thoughtfully before continuing on his way. After a couple more steps he called back to her, "You don't trust me, do you?"

Caught of guard, she replied, "What?"

"You're keeping me in front of you so that you can keep an eye on me," he explained. "Right?"

She didn't reply, but her silence was an answer enough.

"I'm a different person. The person who... did that, that was a desperate man who had run out of options. That's not me."

There was a long pause, interrupted only by the crunch of leaves underfoot. Finally Mary Margret said, "Emma seems to trust you. Ana definitely sees something good in you. However, I still need to see it for myself. So for now you'll walk in front of me."

He didn't press the issue any further. A couple feet further he cleared a way a branch to reveal a clearing. Built against a tree stood a lopsided building that looked like it was on the verge of tipping over at any minute. A sign labeled it as the 'Snuggly Duckling'.

"This is where we're getting our weapons," Mary Margret asked sceptically.

"Trust me," Jefferson replied, "It's not a cute and cuddly as it looks."

000

"I'm bored," Henry complained for the umpteenth time in the past hour. Since Jefferson and his grandma left Ana and his mom just spent their time practicing magic, which wasn't as fun to watch as it sounds. For the most part all it consisted of was conjuring fireballs, which got boring fast. He was trying to keep watch with his dad, but he the dullness of the task made it hard to keep his eyes open.

"You're the one who wanted to come," Emma reminded him.

"Because I thought it would be fun," Henry whined.

"I'm sorry buddy," Neal said. "You know, maybe we could go scouting."

"Scouting?" Henry echoed.

"Yeah," Neal answered. "You know, get a lay of the land. See what's out there."

"I don't know..." Emma interjected.

"Come on, it will be good for him to get up and do something useful."

Emma sighed. "Fine. But stay close."

"We will," the two of them said in unison. Henry forced himself to his feet and followed his dad out into the trees.

Once they were gone, Ana turned back to Emma to resume their practice, but the other woman stopped her before she could begin. "I understand if you want to take a break from this."

"What makes you say that?" Ana asked, surprised.

"You look exhausted. Everything that's happened today has clearly taken a toll on you. I didn't want to point it out in front of the others because you were clearly trying to hide it, but you really ought to rest." Ana began to protest but Emma added, "It's ok for heroes to take a break sometimes."

Because she truly was to tired to argue, Ana submitted. "Yes mom," she agreed sarcastically. She lowered herself to the ground and leaned back against a tree. Emma sat down beside her. As a thought struck her Ana snorted in amusement. "You know, I guess I would technically be your aunt."