𝕚. 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔹𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕆𝕗 𝕀𝕥 𝔸𝕝𝕝

Start from the beginning

It wasn't long until her grandmother followed suit after having chest pains and fainting in the store. After a customer called the ambulance, she was safely taken to the hospital, but with the unfortunate news that she has stage 2 lung cancer given her history with smoking.

The Gonzales' as well as the Fabrays were devastated by the news, and the grandparents were forced to stay on bed rest. What's sadder is that there isn't a cure for lung cancer, and her grandpa was on stage 3 of sepsis, and the two elders were required to use a ventilator for them to breathe easier. Both grandparents knew their lives were coming to an end, as did the rest of the family, so they tried to visit as much as possible before it was too late.

○+●+○+●+○+●+○+●+○+●+○+●+○

NATHALIE'S POV

July 20, 2006

I woke up to the gentle shakes on my shoulder and opened my eyes to see my brother with a little smile on his face.

"Hey, little nugget. Happy Birthday." He smiled, revealing a present behind his back.

It's my 13th birthday. I'm finally in the teen stage of my life, and I don't exactly know what to feel...but what I do know is that I want to open up whatever Miguel got me.

"Thanks 'Guel." I smiled as I sat up, taking the present and opening it.

Once I lifted the lid off the box, I grinned when I saw a yellow Polaroid camera with a few Winnie the Pooh stickers and films.

"I didn't put the stickers on 'cause I know how you like doing those." Miguel said.

"Miguel." I breathe out as I take the camera out of the box, "I love it so much. Thank you." I added before hugging him tightly.

"It's no biggie, and I'm glad you like it."

I let go and put a film inside the camera, saying, "I want the first picture to be of you."

We made a funny face, and I clicked to capture it. When the film came out, I shook it until it showed the picture, and we laughed at our picture.

"I'll leave you to get ready." He kissed my head and stood up from my bed to exit my room.

As soon as he left, I carefully placed every sticker on the camera and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

When I was done, I took my camera, filled it with films, and headed downstairs, where I found my parents and Miguel.

"Happy Birthday, mi dulce niña (my sweet child)" Dad greeted me before kissing my head.

"Gracias papá (Thanks dad)"

"Oh, you've grown so much." Mom smooshed my cheeks before looking at dad and saying, "They grow up so fast."

"Mama, my face is still being squished." I was able to mumble.

"Oh, right." Mom chuckled, letting go. "Lo siento, querida. (Sorry, dear)"

"Here is your present, Carebear." Dad gave me a thick box.

"Here's from me." Mom handed me a bag.

I sat on the floor and opened mom's present first and squealed when I saw skin care products that I wanted.

I jumped from the carpet to hug her tight, "Thanks, mom! Holy crap, how'd you know?"

"I caught a glimpse of you from what you were looking at on the internet." She told me.

"You shouldn't have." I said.

"It's fine, love."

"Open Dad's next." Miguel said.