Chapter Forty-Four

THE ENCHANTED FOREST. PAST. ONE YEAR AGO.

Liana's POV

We were near the dark one's vault. I couldn't stop Neal from going, so of course, I went with him.

I watched as Neal lighted Lumiere's candles. "You found it. Thank havens," he said.

"Now what?" Neal asked.

"Get to to the center of the clearing," he started. "Under the ice and snow you shall find the entry way to the vault."

Neal clears the snow off the vault. "Liana!" said Neal. I kneel down beside him.

"Yeah, the key must go in the middle," I replied.

Neal faces Lumiere. "Are you sure about this?"

"I've spent 200 years in Rumplestiltskin's library witnessing more dark magic and sorcery than any living creature has seen."

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm... I'm sorry. How long did you say you were there?"

"200 years, at least."

I looked at Neal, concern written on my face. "He's lying," I stated. "Rumple built that library for me, not long before the curse. It's been there barely 30 years."

"Who are you?" Neal asked Lumiere. "Unless you wanna spend the rest of eternity under a snowdrift, you better start talking."

"I am, who I appear to be. Only it wasn't Rumplestiltskin who turned me into this wretched form. It was the Wicked Witch of the West."

"The wicked witch? Seriously? She told you to lead us here?" I questioned. "Why?"

"She wants you to bring back the dark one so she can control him with his dagger," he explained.

I shook my head. "No. No. This is not going to happen. I can't let Rumple be controlled by some witch. We need to leave this place now, Neal," I said.

"Liana, wait," said Neal. "It means we can bring him back. Does it matter who got us here?"

"Yes," I spat. "If you want your father to become a slave. Rumple didn't sacrifice his life for good, only to return to evil."

"My father is the king of loopholes," Neal replied. "I'm sure he'll figure out a way to deal with her."

I bit my lip. "What if, what if he can't, Neal?" I questioned, tears escaping my eyes. "Think of what she could do if the dark one was under her control. Think of what would happen to your father if she had him in her grasps? She would be able to hurt him. We'll have to find another way to bring him back."

"What if there is no other way?" He asked. "I can't waste any more time. I need to get back. To hell with the costs!" Neal yelled.

"It's what your father told himself when he forged the curse that condemned countless people to misery!" I yelled. "Don't make the same mistake he made! Rumple came to me
in a dream last night, to specifically tell me to not let you do this!" No matter what I said, Neal placed the strange key in the key hole. "Neal, wait!" I yelled. Neal placed his hand on the key and opened the vault anyway. My eyes widened in fear as the snow around the vault melted. The fire ends up burning Neal's hand and leaves a triangle shaped mark on his palm. As Neal screamed in pain, he removed his hand and the vault fully opened.

My heart started to beat rapidly. A figure arises slowly out of the darkness. My jaw drops when I see him. He is in the form when I first met him—green scaly skin, long nails, and short shaggy hair. I looked him up and down.  "Rumple?"

                                +++

PRESENT DAY.
Liana's POV

I was in the shop with Hook. We were looking for something that caused the strange mark on Neal's hand.