"Well, you, Thomas and Alice are welcome to stay as long as you may like." Daphne told her kindly.

Marianne nodded, "Although we do not wish to get in you way when suitors eventually arrive."

Daphne shook her head at Marianne's worry, "Oh, nonsense, you're perfectly fine." She told her as Thomas snuggled into Daphne's side, the strawberry-blonde smiling at the action. She adored children, she was glad that Marianne had finally got the family she wanted, even if it were without a husband.

Suddenly the doors opened once more. Daphne and her family on their feet as the footman finally declared the arrival of callers.

Marianne had to practically drag Thomas away from Daphne as to let her speak to her callers alone. She seated herself at the other side of the room. Alice on her lap and Thomas playing with Hyacinth as Marianne witnessed Daphne's every attempt at conversation be foiled by her overprotective brother. The marchioness simply shook her head.

Dearest reader, this author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson. This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton. . . for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything. . . Being wrong.

And the drawing room at Bridgerton House
currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George.

Suitor after suitor, each one had left early, much too intimidated by Anthony to continue their stay. Not even Daphne's attempts at engaging conversation seemed to be enough. And soon the drawing room was completely empty with Daphne looking deflated and disappointed.

Anthony drew out a pocket watch and checked the time, "Well, I must be off to my club, then. Sisters. Mother. Lady Wentworth." He nodded to each in question before taking his leave, Daphne and Violet completely tired of his blockage.

Marianne sighed as she noticed Alice dropping off to sleep in her arms, "I'm afraid I must take my leave as well." She said regrettably as she stood, "I must check on my sister and put this little one down for a nap."

Daphne gave a small smile, "Well, I'm glad you could find the time to check in on us." She said as she stood.

Marianne smiled, "Anytime. Miss Bridgertons." She nodded around the room as the girls smiled at her, "Come on, Thomas, time to go."

The little boy leapt up and grabbed his mothers outstretched hand, "Bye!" He waved as the little Wentworth scurried along with his mother.

As Marianne made her way to the door she noticed Anthony still preparing to take his leave. She shook her head as she approached, "It won't work, you know."

Anthony turned at her voice, "I'm sorry?"

Marianne raised a knowing brow, "This whole scheme to keep her away from any gentleman within a 5 mile radius." She stopped beside him and sighed, "Everyone falls in love Anthony."

"And yet it is not love my sister needs, it is security." Anthony spoke firmly. He was taken aback however when his companion didn't seem to back down.

"And who shall be the one to offer it to her? You?" She asked, not giving him a chance to answer as she continued, "You cannot expect your sister to simply follow your every wish and lean against you for support her entire life. She wants husband, a family. I understand your concerns, I have them for my sister also, but there's a difference between protecting her and getting in her way."

Anthony was silent as he took in her words. He had known Marianne when they were children. She was always, quiet, studious, always offered a smile and words of kindness. But now it seemed she had grown into this strong woman, unafraid to make her thoughts known and able to give advice at the drop of a hat. He'd be lying if he said he didn't see sense in her words, but he couldn't find it in himself to admit it.

At his silence Marianne sighed, "Good day to you, my lord." She told him, before hurrying her son along as she walked back over to their carriage.

Anthony turning her words over in his head as he watched her leave.

———