Prologue: The Reluctant King

Start from the beginning

"Good day, Lord Candery," Leopold said, taking the stairs leading to the second level two at a time. He would've gone three at a time if he thought his tired legs could manage it, but he would have to settle for the measly two to help him get rid of the pesky Lord. He gave a sigh of relief when he peeked behind him to see that Candery wasn't following him.

Once he was at the top of the stairs, Leopold glanced down at his apparel, frowning slightly, but ultimately satisfied with how he looked. Instead of continuing down the hallway to his chambers, he started to go back up the stairs. A visit to the library was long overdue. Leopold made his way up two flights of stairs, and down a long corridor before finally reaching the door to the library.

As soon as he stepped through the door he cherished the blissful silence. Leopold, while he enjoyed the company of others, could always appreciate the peace and quiet that the royal library offered. From the age of seven he would sneak into the hallowed place to read of the countless adventures of courageous soldiers, heroes in disguise, startling plot twists, and even a few magnificent dragons. There was always some new story to get lost in, and Leopold had done so readily.

While Leopold didn't come to the library to read adventure stories anymore, he did come on a similar subject. His love for adventures had eventually spread to a love of military logistics, which was what he was intending on looking up.

Leopold and Frederick had been discussing some different tactics in lieu of the rising tension between the country of Carigan and its neighbors after Frederick's and, his Queen, Clara's coronation. The country and its rulers was becoming increasingly hostile and both of the men were anxious to see what would come of it.

Leopold reached for one of the worn books on battle tactics and sat back in the high back chaired that he normally occupied when he visited the library. He promptly got lost in the large tome, pouring over strategies on dealing with warfare on inclined ground, as Carigan and Marenta were both heavily mountainous.

He was not sure how long he had been reading when suddenly a large bang came from across the room. Jumping to his feet and snapping his book shut, Leopold was surprised to see one of his father's manservants panting desperately and earning a few glares from the library page.

"Your highness, you must come quickly! Your parents- they have been injured," the other man spluttered out before darting back through the door with Leopold hot on his heels.

"Where are they?" Leopold asked as the pair dashed down the hallways.

"They are both in their bedchamber. It took us a while to find you, sir," the manservant said between gasps. Leopold felt his heart clench at those words. It had taken them a while because he hadn't been truthful to Lord Candery.

Leopold and the manservant finally reached the door to the royal bedchamber and Leopold pushed it open. Inside was hectic to say the least. The royal physician, multiple maids, and two manservants were all stuffed into the room.

Leopold stood frozen in the doorway, taking in the sight before him. While the various standing occupants in the room were bustling about in the limited space, the two figures on the bed were frightfully still. As he stood there he realized that none of the other occupants were even touching his mother. It was only his father that was causing the fuss, and Leopold could see him taking shallow breaths, but with a quick glance at his mother, Leopold's heart plummeted.

She wasn't breathing, and her face, a normally subtle pink due to her constantly cheery disposition, was paler than it had ever been. Since no one was on his mother's side of the bed, he walked forward on shaking legs, collapsing onto the edge of the bed beside her, taking one of her delicate hands in his. He did his best to hold back tears, not wanting to seem weak in front of all of the people in the bedchamber, but as he pressed her limp hand to his lips, a single tear slid down his cheek.