💗 Zhang Chen x Liu Han 💗

Liu Han's chubby cheeks were red from the nipping cold, each breath of air forming warm clouds. He steadily made his way over to the swings, coordinating his legs in the manner that children did when they were still learning how to cross terrain.

His tiny steps crunched down atop the mixture of snow and mulch. Liu Han clumsily pushed the knitted trapper hat higher above his eyes, pawing it with his mitts. The playground shone with the glint of the sun against the white snow; bright blue monkey bars and big red slide beckoned to Liu Han's delight.

The other little boy in the green puffy jacket and large scarf shuffled nearby the swings, waving with hesitation. Liu Han hightailed it immediately to the swings instead, abandoning the other parts of the playground.

"A-Chen! Push me on the swing?"

His wide eyes sparkled with excitement. Zhang Chen nodded, quiet. Although he wasn't nearly as noisy as Liu Han, his honest excitement shined through, running over to push Liu Han from behind.

Darling, high-pitched giggles rung out in the crisp, morning air, causing anyone walking by to helplessly smile at the boys. After they alternated the swing, Liu Han carefully hopped off, only to point with excitement at the monkey bars.

"The blue bars, A-Chen!! Let's go climb up!"

"Mhm!"

Zhang Chen was practically dragged over. Two pairs of trailing footprints soon overlapped all over the playground, crisscrossing chaotically. Liu Han fell over onto the fluffy snow with another chiming laugh, yelling at Zhang Chen to follow.

With a flop, Zhang Chen laid down beside him, both red-faced and tired from running around. Upon hearing the squeaky giggles, Zhang Chen turned his head, finally laughing too.

"Playing with you is so fun, A-Chen!"

"I like...playing with Liu Han too."

Their little breaths huffed in and out for a moment, before Liu Han sat up with a sudden jerk, looking at Zhang Chen. He said very seriously, "We both like each other, so we have to promise to stay like this forever and ever."

Zhang Chen sat up too, confused. "But I thought only girls...and boys... "

Liu Han nodded, "Mommy said that too. That when I grow up I'll find a pretty girl to like forever and ever and marry."

Zhang Chen's eyes widened, scooting closer without regard for the snow sticking to his jacket. "But...you just said..."

"But—but!! A-Chen, but—I already like you so much, so how would I like a girl? I might as well just marry you! "

"Oh...right. That makes sense."

The cogs turned in Zhang Chen's head as he smiled with a wide, silly grin, laughing happily. "Then, let's get married when we grow up!"

Liu Han looked at him with surprise. This was the first time he'd ever seen Zhang Chen so excited. He fell over again, making wide snow angels with warm cheeks as he looked at the cloudy sky.

"Okay, that's a promise!! Only liars go back on their promises."

He peered over, appearing in Liu Han's vision with rapid nods. "Lying is really bad."

"Yeah, and I'm no liar, A-Chen." Liu Han shoveled snow in his general direction as he said, "You have to promise."

Zhang Chen kicked up snow with stubby legs, laughing at the icy feeling of snow thrown around. "Okay, I promise, A-Han. Let's get married forever."

❄️🎄

Liu Han recalled the memory with an absent mind. His bike leaned against the slide—colors worn down through affectionate abuse and time. He kicked at the mulch, pushing himself higher in the air atop the swing, chains crying in heavy squeaks that needed to be oiled.