when she leaves, asher's hands slip from under him and he falls flat onto his back. he groans, but i'm not sure if it's out of pain or frustration, or both. he looks so done with life.

"what's the real reason you haven't been using the ointment?" i dare to ask. asher blinks, registering my question, then sits up.

"what?" he tries to act confused like he doesn't know what i'm talking about (and he actually does a very good job) but i can see right through him.

"answer me," i demand sternly like i'm talking to a child. "i know you lied."

asher's hazel eyes flicker from me to matthias. he sighs, sits himself up more, and responds.

"okay. you two know how... thin i am, obviously, since you applied the medication while i was out. i suppose you want some answers."

matthias nods tentatively. "sort of. well...yeah."

i stop asher before he continues, realizing that it's personal and that i shouldn't have pried. "you don't have to tell us. we just–"

"no," he interrupts. "no. it's about time you both realize that i'm not 'mister perfect' like everyone thinks i am."

he looks between us again, and starts the story.

"when i was twelve, there was a house fire. my brothers, sisters, and i had just gotten home from school when the explosion occurred. i was in the kitchen reading my schoolbooks with the second oldest. i told her to get anyone she could find, and get them out. i ran up the steps two at a time. the fire was blazing, blocking the left hallway, and i knew i couldn't go down there. my siblings' rooms were to the right. i got into each of their rooms and helped them out by using the windows. i grabbed the youngest - who was barely one at the time - and got down low. the fire had spread to the stairs. the smell was terrible; i couldn't see." his eyes start to water like he really is fighting through the smoke this instant. "the stairs were breaking off one by one. i had a baby in my arms. i took a chance and jumped down the entire flight. little salton got a few bruises and was choking on the acrid air. i got out by chance since the smoke was so thick, where my family was waiting outside. everyone was out there, minus my mom. my dad made sure we were all okay before going back in for her. he" - he chokes a little - "he never came back.

"nobody wanted us. who would? six more children to take care of- that's a burden for anyone. salton was raised by another family. i had to take care of the other four myself. the first few years were easy. everyone wanted to help us. we got food, blankets, and new books from our school. we lived in a small hut on the outskirts of town. then things got steadily worse about a year ago. there was never enough food. i always went fishing every day and fried the fish up as best as i could. sometimes i didn't even eat so they could have more. i still do that.

"sirena, the second oldest, should be taking care of them right now. she's fifteen. the fire happened five years ago, when she was ten. i hope they're doing alright without me."

it takes me a few seconds to take it in. asher really has been starving, and that also explains his odd reaction to the fire pre-sting. i realize i have completely misjudged him. asher, whom i used to think to be so cocky and arrogant, is really a sweetheart looking to protect his siblings.

"asher, i don't even know what to say." matthias looks at him with a saddened, pained expression. there seems to be a certain understanding between all of us now, and in a way i know we are all closer than before.

"you don't have to say anything." asher blinks rapidly, and i realize with a start that i am about to see him cry. my heart sinks into my stomach and i feel tears prick at the corners of my own eyes.

suddenly noises like footsteps pound on the ground, coming closer and closer. carly breaks through the trees, looking the most terrified i've ever seen her. her blue eyes are wild, wide with fear.

"run!" she shouts. "they're behind me. bliss and another career. go!"

sheer terror encases my body like ice. my legs are lead as my heart starts beating quicker and quicker with each passing millisecond. hands pull me up so i'm standing and i see matthias yelling at me to move, but i can't hear anything anymore. everything is moving in slow motion. matthias also gets asher onto his feet and grabs the backpack, zipping it closed and slinging it over both his shoulders. he shoves me forward, and that's when the spell breaks. i jerk back into reality. things are moving almost too quickly for me to register.

"go!" matthias screams, a frantic look on his face. "thalia, run."

"promise you'll be right behind me?" i ask so rapidly that my words blend together and i sound drunk, like haymitch.

matthias stops for one second and looks right into my eyes. "promise. now go."

i nod and start sprinting for my life. asher is not too far ahead of me, and i notice with despair that he is definitely moving slower than he used to. formerly, he was the quickest out of all of us. now i'm not so sure.

everything is a blur and i can barely keep an eye on asher and carly in front of me.

"run, run, as fast as you can, little tributes!" i can hear bliss taunting us, the sound echoing through my ears and making my head spin. i stumble but catch myself and continue on sprinting, adrenaline coursing through my veins. the terror makes my feet feel like cement blocks, but i know i'm running faster than i ever have before.

"you can't hide forever!" this voice i have never heard before, but i think it's the boy from three, titus. my heart pumps even faster when i realize what he says is true. we can't run for all eternity. eventually they will catch us.

asher is slowing down even more. he is almost next to me, and i mentally urge him on.

"come on, come on," matthias mutters from slightly behind me, breathless. "go, go, go, go, go! come on, asher, come on!"

asher falls behind me. matthias actually curses. everything seems to be going smoothly (despite the fact that asher has fallen behind) when i hear a cry, a thud, and another curse. i start to slow down.

"asher, get up," matthias urges desperately, his breathing ragged. "c'mon buddy, get up!"

"i can't." asher has become pale, his voice cracking as his chest rises and falls in time with his heavy breaths. "leave me."

"never." matthias grabs his arm and gets him up about halfway before i see it. titus is behind them, a wicked grin on his elvish face. he has the throwing knife in his hands. he reaches his arm back. he aims. he releases it.

and it hits its target.

then i see the wide-eyed, open-mouthed expression on his face before asher halloway falls to the ground, never to get up again.

gif is thalia listening to asher's story

_________

annnnddddd, cue the crying (if you arent then just wait till next chapter. keep tissues nearby)

ive been dreading this moment since i introduced asher tbh

i was going to update yesterday since it was the feast day of st. matthias bUt i had a softball game so i couldnt :(

dedicated to shootmehemmings bc same and they said they love his story so i love them

until next time!!

(i sound enthusiastic but really im dead inside from what i just wrote hahahahaha kill me)

xoxo,

kristyn