Chapter 5: Tough Love, Warm Embrace

Start from the beginning

"Oh, is that it? You know, we do that every day but I always end out on top! Though, I guess I'll just have to find a way to give them a body of their own before I piss them off into killing me. Thanks for the heads up though." Y/N thanked them with a bright smile on his face.

You are a strange one.

"Heh, I get that a lot."

The woman's lips twitched slightly upward, the insignificant gesture lighting up the darkness around them.

You truly are this era's 'sun,' Y/N, bringing forth a new dawn of endless possibilities. I wish I could get to know you better but there is not enough time for that.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Y/N and the woman's smile vanished at the subtle shift in the atmosphere.

Y/N. I come here to give you a warning. A great tragedy will soon be enacted involving the Tyrant of Decimation and Maiden of Hoarfrost. You must choose who to save and who to slay for both cannot be left alive if you wish to save the lives of millions.

"Woah, Woah, Woah! Time out! Are you telling me to kill someone that I don't even know!? I mean, I don't even know these two so why should I be the person to do it?"

You will meet one of them in due time but the other is a dangerous person. He is violent, has little regard for the life around him, and seeks out strong opponents to sate his never ending bloodlust.

"Sounds familiar..." Y/N muttered, looking down at the floor with a sad smile. The woman's ethereal aura faltered as she stared at his troubled expression, slightly curious about what was going through his mind.

However, that is not to say that the Maiden of Hoarfrost is without her own sins. Regardless of how you feel, you must make a decision that will determine the fate of this era. Whether humanity thrives or crumbles to ruin in this era as it has done already in many branches of the Imaginary Tree, the responsibility rests solely on your shoulders now, Y/N.

"Gee, thanks. No pressure or anything." The male said dryly, a hint of irritation in his voice.

No. There is a lot of weight on your shoulders.

"I-I know, I was just-" Y/N sighed and waved his hand dismissively. "Nevermind. Thanks for the warning, I guess, but I don't think I'm gonna change up my flow."

Pardon?

"I have enough blood on my hands already. I don't need more, and unless these two are irredeemable scum, it's gonna stay that way. I don't plan on killing either of them. In fact, I'll try to save them both if I can."

You do not understand. They cannot be-

"What they can or cannot be is not for you nor me to decide. This 'Tyrant of Decimation' and 'Maiden of Hoarfrost' will be the ones to decide who they want to be and what path they wish to walk down. I won't make that decision for them nor rob them of the ability to make their choice."

The harsh glare from the woman overwhelmed Y/N, it felt like a thousand suns going off right in his face and there was nothing he could do but endure the pain that felt like it dragged on for eternity.

Was it hours?

Days?

Weeks?

Months?

Years?

Or maybe even Decades?

Y/N had no clue but within an instant, the pain stopped and when he opened his eyes, he found the woman smiling warmly at him.