Chapter Twenty-Eight

CW- mentions of murder, trapped souls

The stone halls of Hogwarts, to Regulus, did little in way of bringing back any good memories. It was, after all, the place that he had lost it all. It was just an old building in the countryside of Scotland to him, and if it weren't for the war, he would've chosen to never return.

But the Grey Lady was there, living out eternity as a ghost an forced to relieve and revel in the pain of what she had done. And she was one of the few that had made friends with Tom Riddle.

Regulus was determined to get her to talk to him that day, not taking no for an answer. She was known to be elusive, standoffish, but he didn't mind.

He would remain at Hogwarts for months if that's what it took, given that it was one of the last places that James Potter would be.

In an act of cowardice, Regulus had fled the night before, leaving the manor and packing his things as he decided to head straight to Scotland. It was near Halloween, the weather beginning to turn cold, and the wind in the mountains was almost unbearable.

It was much too easy for Regulus to move through the halls of the school unnoticed, thanks to his cloak that he had made sure to retrieve from Euphemia before departing. 

"I'll be back. I promise."

"Are you trying to assure me or yourself, Love? I honestly cannot tell," Effie quipped as she closed the clasp of the cloak around his neck.

"I have this for you," Regulus pulled a weighty envelope from his pocket and folding Euphemia's hands around it. "Open it as soon as I leave. And please. Use it."

Euphemia placed her hand on the side of Reg's face endearingly, and he couldn't help but to smile. 

A small voice inside of him understood even more why Sirius had left Grimmauld, coming home to a mother like Effie Potter.

"You'll be back before April?"

He understood plainly what she was asking, the thought making him sick. "I will. I promise."

"Be safe, Regulus. You always have a home here."

Euphemia, being the stubborn woman that she was, didn't want to open it at all. But Regulus had insisted, so she pulled the envelope open while sitting in the parlor in her favorite chair, a gasp falling from her mouth when the contents fell out.

The Potters were by no means poor, even to someone like Regulus Black. But it wasn't money that fell out of the envelope at all. Instead, it was the deed to a unplottable property in the south of France, accompanied with a note in Regulus's handwriting.

I acquired this property the moment that I arrived back here. It's unplottable to everyone except those who are on the deed. Given that my past self knows nothing of the property, it should be entirely secure for you and Fleamont.

We know what causes Dragon Pox, Effie. And hosting the Order will only become more frequent. I implore you to go to France. I will keep James safe, and I can promise you that your grandson will want to meet both you and Monty.  

Humbly, 

R.A.B.

She knew the boy wouldn't give up until she conceded and left London. But the thought of taking Monty with her was almost completely impossible.