Chapter 3: A Breath of Fresh Air

Start from the beginning

Peach patted his other shoulder, "I assure you that this warp pipe is safe. It has been enchanted to specifically take us to the Mushroom Kingdom."

Luigi whimpered slightly. He looked at Mario fearfully, not looking an ounce convinced. And who could blame him? Stepping through a warp pipe was what led to his captivity in Bowser's claws. Peach tapped her chin, then perked up. "I have an idea. I will take Bowser and go through first," she said.

Mario nodded. "Whatever you say, Princess."

The princess walked over to the base of a tower, just outside the fortress' gates. She turned the warp pipe on its side and pressed it into the wall. The green pipe grew in size, cracking the structure. Peach adjusted her gloves, then dragged the massive ice block towards the entrance. Luigi tilted his head. How the heck are they going to fit? However, the princess was quick to answer. Peach stood up straight and crossed her arms, a slightly proud smile on her face. Then she bumped her hip against the ice, pushing a petrified Bowser through; she swiftly followed behind. Luigi's jaw dropped. Mario guffawed. "I recommend you ignore the physics from home for a little bit. You're gonna hurt yourself trying to understand this place," he said, closing Luigi's mouth.

His brother adjusted his cap before walking behind Toad. "I'm right behind ya, bro. It's totally safe," he said. Luigi fiddled with his gloves, before taking a deep breath and stepping through the ominous teleporting device.

[XXX]

The second Luigi stepped into the warp pipe, he was sucked into it, going at breakneck speed. He crashed into the side, screaming louder than ever. It was hard to breathe. Luigi felt like he was on a roller coaster, and he hates roller coasters! He gathered the courage to open his eyes and saw a fast-approaching light. Luigi clawed at the sides but could not have a hold of anything. And after what felt like an eternity, the man in green was ejected from the warp pipe. The poor guy skidded across what felt like a tiled floor and crashed into a wall, knocking the wind from his lungs.

The room was spinning.

Voices chattered nervously and gasped; some even screamed. Luigi could feel people gather around him; they looked like tiny, colorful blobs. He groaned, trying not to throw up. Something poked his nose. "Is... Is that Mario?"

"Why's he green?"

"Is it me or did Mario lose weight?"

"Can't be him! This guy's tall!"

Luigi propped onto his elbows, coughing and trying to get his breath back. He groped around for his cap, ignoring the pounding headache. He hoped to stars he never had to use a warp pipe again. Luigi looked up, squinting at the bright light. Then he gasped. He found himself in the most beautiful room he has ever seen. The chamber was made of polished marble and decorated with light pink and gold banners; crystalline windows allowed the warm glow of the morning sun to flood the room. A gorgeous glass window reflected the sunlight, bathing the room with speckles of color; it depicted Princess Peach looking upwards, her hands raised. Luigi shakily stood up, "Whoa..." he gasped.

The Toads gathered around him, muttering amongst themselves. Luigi stopped inspecting the throne room and focused on the crowd around him. He nervously chuckled, "H-hello." The Toads surrounding him smiled and uttered welcomings. A line of pink bloomed across his face, warmth spreading to his chest. Such a warm welcome... that's all he needed.

"YAHOO!"

He looked up and saw his brother slide out of the warp pipe, landing on his feet. Mario chuckled and walked up to him; the younger twin frowned slightly, wishing he had more of an elegant entrance like his. Mario smiled. "Everyone! This is my brother, Luigi!" he announced. There was a collective gasp and suddenly everybody cheered and started asking Luigi questions. He slightly stepped back, frightened by the sudden attention. Some even shook his hand and looked at him with glimmering eyes. Luigi laughed shyly at his reaction, rubbing his neck. This must be what celebrities feel like. However, Luigi was a bit confused since no one knew yet he assisted in defeating Bowser. A woman's laughter silenced the excitement.