001 || back to hogwarts

A/N :

This is kind of my first fanfic so please don't judge my writing or anything, I'm trying my best 😅. Also don't mine the grammar or punctuation mistakes. Also there may be lots of changes to the format of chapter so please bear with me.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

***

Platform nine and three-quarters was crowded with many witches and wizards ready for another year in Hogwarts or maybe even their first. Lyra was moving towards the vivid red train that was waiting nearby the station along with her parents, and younger brother. Sirius wasn't present as usual. She makes an effort to forget the night he was tortured to the point that he escaped to the Potters. Not a single person spoke at dinner that night after burning of Sirius' portrait of the family tree

   "Ready for another year at Hogwarts?" Lyra asked her younger brother, trying to clear things of her mind.

   "I guess," said Regulus unsurely before saying quietly, " but at least we get to stay away from mother and father."

"Facts," Lyra remarked, earning a quiet chuckle from Regulus.

"But I'm sort of scared about the OWLs this year," Regulus confessed.

Lyra reassured him, "you'll be alright," as they both said their parents farewell and boarded the train with their bags. After a while, Regulus entered a compartment with his closest friend, Pandora LeStrange. The siblings waved goodbye before one entered the compartment and the other walked down the corridor.

She was honestly worried about Regulus, he hasn't been eating much at all since Sirius left. It's obvious he misses him, Lyra thought and she does too.

As soon as she saw her best friend, all of her concerns vanished. Estella Exley gave her a friendly grin and soft blue eyes as she observed her. She had stunning golden hair that flowed beyond her shoulders. They have been friends ever since they met at the Slytherin table after The Sorting.

  "Hiii Lyraaa," exclaimed Estella as Lyra put her luggage away and took a seat across her.

  "Hey Stella," Lyra smiled.

  "How was your summer and how's Sirius?" Estella asked.

   "Why are you asking how Sirius is and not me?" questioned Lyra looking offended and then realised something important about her. Estella has been in love with Lyra's twin brother since they first met, much like all the other Hogwarts girls, but she never manages to find the bravery to speak to him. She constantly babbles on about him until Lyra loses patience and attempts to switch the conversation to her other favourite topic, fashion. Estella liked fashion and clothing, and she always dreamed of herself as a successful muggle fashion designer, with Lyra as her very first client.

"Okay I'm sorry. How was your summer and how are you?" restated Estella.

"My summer was not that great unless you count Sirius running away from home exciting," Lyra said sarcastically, waving her hand around.

"Oh no, what happened?" Estella asked concerned.

"So basically my insufferable old parents started talking about muggle-borns and calling them Mudbloods. Sirius heard this and got angry. We tried to stop him but he went there and stood up for the muggle-borns," Lyra explained, receiving an 'awwww' from the blonde girl in front of her causing her to roll her eyes as she continued, "the decision he made was horrible. My parents got so angry that they started to torture him like hell. In the end, he went to his room and started packing to leave our house. He didn't even say goodbye," Lyra finished, her eyes starting to get misty but controlled herself.

Estella observed her best friend with an empathetic look and sat next to her as she put shoulder around the brunette, " I'm sorry."

"It's not you're fault," Lyra gave a weak laugh, "besides, he had the right to do that considering how horrible my parents are."

***

The chattering of students and sounds of the teachers discussing fill the air as Lyra and Estella walk through the Great Hall towards the green table between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. They both find a seat next to each other near Regulus and Pandora (she was in ravenclaw but still sat with him) before the Sorting ceremony started. Suddenly, a huge group of black-robed children walked through the Great Hall doors and stop in front of a stool with an old baggy hat on top.

Soon the sorting ended and Professor Dumbledore got up to make his announcement. "Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts. Everyone must be careful and stay in the castle grounds as dark times are just around the corner. Now without further ado, let the feast begin!"

And with one clap from Dumbledore, the smell of all kinds of foods invaded everyone's senses as they started eating. Before Lyra could start eating, her eyes flickered to the table across them - the Gryffindor table. She saw Sirius laughing with his friends, not a worry on his face. She observed James Potter failing miserably to charm Lily Evans, a stunning redhead. She observed a generous Remus Lupin giving chocolate to a pleading muggle-born she did not know. She observed a blushing Alice Fortescue speaking to Frank Longbottom. She saw Peter Pettigrew but immediately looked away after seeing him stuff two chicken legs in his mouth. She saw Marlene McKinnon talking to Dorcas Meadows as they ate. Lyra smiles, she is happy that Sirius is happy but she just wishes he didn't run away. Sighing loudly, Lyra took some scrumptious pasta from the food-filled table and started eating.

"Why is Pandora at Slytherin table always, she's in Ravenclaw," the blonde girl questioned.

"Because she's friends with Regulus, leave her alone Stell," Lyra said impatiently.

  "Whatever," Estella said, "by the way did Regulus get his Prefect badge this year?" She noticed a shiny sliver badge sitting on Regulus' green robes with the word Prefect written across it.

"Mhm, he's following his sisters footsteps," Lyra announced proudly, receiving a chuckle from Estella.

~~~

The next morning came and Lyra and Estella went to their first class after breakfast. They had Potions first up with the Gryffindors. Once they had entered the classroom, they sat in their usual seat.

"Okay everyone, welcome back to another year at Hogwarts," Professor Slughorn started, "Today we are going to be making a potion in partners"

So Lyra got partnered with Estella and they started working. But in the middle of it, Estella started to stare somewhere or someone. She looked behind her where her friend was looking to find Sirius talking to Remus. Getting frustrated, she impatiently flicks her fingers in front of Estella's eyes, "Focus!" Looking offended, Estella started stir the vivid blue potion.

After class, the two Slytherin started to walk out the classroom but was stopped when someone touched Lyra on the shoulder.

"Lyra, can we talk?"