Nineteen || Megaphone

-Art by wpdlekj on Twitter-

[From this chapter onwards there will be manga spoilers since the story is going into the shibuya arc (que my tears). 

This chapter will be starting off on the manga chapter 100 so i'm skipping a lot of the start of the arc.]

The pitch black sky above homed not a single star. It was as if the entire world had been enshrouded in misery. And that misery only grew the closer we got to the train station when the moans of transfigured humans grew louder as did the petrified screams of civilians.

It was ten p.m. October thirty-first in Shibuya, Tokyo.

A few hours ago we were told a curtain was cast over the district, trapping only civilians and blocking all outside communication. I had a bad feeling about the whole situation beforehand but the mission was far worse than I had anticipated. There was no way I could have known something like this would happen. No one could have known.

Gojo had been sealed.

Our priority had turned into rescuing the man from the prism realm he was being held in but we knew it was going to be tough. And by God it was. 

Hundreds- both civilians and shamans- had already died and there were many more casualties to come. There were a lot of transfigured humans crawling both inside and above the station as a result of the cursed spirit Mahito's innate technique.

I originally learned of Gojo being sealed by a little device that Mechamaru had prepared before he was killed. I was with Yuji, Mei Mei and Ui Ui when we found out. I went with Yuji, exorcising all the cursed along the way to lead him safely outside where he could relay the information to Nanami.

We regrouped with Nanami, Megumi and Ino but Nanami soon left, leaving the four of us to deal with the curtain. 

We found the two sorcerers responsible for the veil so while Yuji and Megumi handled one of them, some weird-looking old guy, Ino helped me fight the old woman sorcerer and her grandson on the rooftop of an old skyscraper.

While he was busy fighting the grandson, I took on the old woman. She was strong and put up a good fight but it was clear that she was no longer as strong as she was in her prime. With my powerful electric attacks, I defeated her until she was no longer able to move. I didn't kill her, simply because I didn't see a reason to, but that deemed itself to be a mistake.

Because Ino and I thought we won until all of a sudden the old woman used her last remaining strength to somehow transform her grandson into somebody else entirely. 

The once lanky and bland man suddenly became a much bigger, taller and stronger being. He took heavy stomps towards Ino, grinning so widely in a way that brought my attention to the vertical scar across the left corner of his lips.His hair was as dark as the night and he had eyes that could kill. The only thing I recalled clearly about that moment was the old woman referring to him as Toji Zenin.

Before I even had the chance to comprehend what was going on, he suddenly vanished and reappeared behind Ino, ripping his mask right off before destroying him like a fly. 

My jaw dropped with shock as my partner wasn't exactly weak, meaning that this Toji was not to be underestimated. But I could tell by his aura alone that he was far, far out of my league. There was just something about him that radiated he was a force not be reckoned with, even though I couldn't feel any cursed energy from him. A shiver ran down my spine.

On any other occasion I would have interrupted the fight and took him on myself, but the moment he threw Ino off the building, my priority laid on saving the latter.