Thirteen || Red Cup

-Art by shteffni on tumblr-

"You Tokyo folks sure know how to throw a party," A feminine voice came up from behind me. I turned around to see Mai crossing his arms over her slender chest.

Next to her was Momo, tugging at the ribbons at the base of her blonde hair which was tied into two pig tails. She didn't say anything but nodded in agreement with her taller friend.

Glancing to the other side of the room where everybody was dancing and singing with laughter, I smiled to myself. "Well we couldn't send you guys off without a proper goodbye, could we?" It was difficult to see her facial expression when the only source of light was the colourful disco lamp set up next to the speakers but I managed to catch the glimpse of a playful smirk on the tall woman's lips.

The exchange event ended only yesterday with a baseball tournament (which we won), so it was the last day the Kyoto students would be in town until they returned back to their own school. Before that could happen, Nobara and Yuji arranged a small celebration in the common room of the student dorms for everybody to enjoy on the last night. 

However, what was supposed to be a chill gathering ended up becoming a whole party when somebody snuck in alcohol, eventually leading to a tipsy Kamo challenging the drunk Yuji to a dance-off.

I brought the plastic red cup to my lips as I watched how the pink-haired boy landed a back flip while all the students cheered him on. Kamo attempted to do the same but failed and I couldn't help but snicker when Miwa poked his cheek, observing the way the enthusiasm drained from his face.

"Can I get you guys a drink?" I turned back to the pair next to me.

The pendant on Momo's neck piece waved from side to side as she shook her head. "It's alright, we were just about to leave." She paused before grimacing at the guys on the dance floor. "Kamo's had one too many drinks so we think it's time to get him out of here."

I burst into laughter when the boy in question suddenly toppled over and crashed into the television screen, knocking it to the floor with a loud crack. Momo let out a mortified gasp before rushing to prevent him from destroying anything else in our sitting room.

Mai, on the other hand, remained leaning on the table alongside me with her attention elsewhere. She was watching Maki who sat on the couch between Panda and Nobara while chuckling softly at something one of them must have said.

A sense of yearning loitered within the detestation in Mai's eyes and I wondered if she really could hate her sister as much as she claimed to. But it wasn't my place to butt in. So placing the empty cup on the table, I turned to the tall girl and told her I looked forward to the next exchange event.

With her thoughts interrupted, she passed me a wicked grin. "We didn't get a chance to fight this time round, (Y/N), but next year I'll totally kick your ass."

"I'd like to see you try," I waved her off as she left to help her smaller friend in carrying the drunk Kamo out of the room.

After they had gone, I scanned the room for everyone else; Miwa had joined Yuji in singing the girly songs on the speaker with Panda and Nobara hyping them up as Mechamaru stood awkwardly at the side. Maki stayed on the couch and watched with amusement while a bored Megumi sat on the other end of it, a white demon dog on the seat to his left.

The only person who didn't show up was Todo, which might have been for the best considering nobody liked him too much. It made me laugh when I thought back to the baseball game the other day when everybody took turns congratulating Maki on her pitch when she threw the ball square in the muscular man's face.