Chapter Twenty-One: That Was Quite the Kiss

Começar do início

"We'll see."

"You want to get out of here?"

I nod and he tugs on my hand, leading me out of the building to the sidewalk. I take one breath of the cooler night, enjoying the fresh air on my face, and then Be's pressing me up against the building, his mouth on mine, his hands on my collarbones, the naked flesh not covered by my dress.

I kiss him back with everything I've been holding in since I met him. All the want, all the need, all the missed chances and disappointments. It feels like we might be saying goodbye with this kiss, like we know it's the only chance we'll have, but I don't care. My body's on fire, a wet heat between my legs, and I can't help from pressing against him, wanting nothing between us, not even air.

I love his tongue and his taste and the way his hands are holding my face. I love the way he whispers my name against my lips, Chloe, like he's asking me a question, not stating a fact.

"Chloe."

"Yes?" I say, breathless. I look up at him, his eyes so close to mine it's hard to focus. His nose isn't quite straight. It bends right at the end.

"Give me your phone?"

"What? Why?"

He leans back and holds out his hand. I fumble in my bag and pull it out, resting it gently in his hand. He leans toward it, concentrating, and taps, taps, taps.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm creating a contact. For me."

"Oh."

My heart thrills. All of this time, and I've never had his number. Even after I knew how to get in touch with him... A little warning bell sounds in my mind.

It sounds like Kit, but I shoo her away.

"There," he says, handing it back to me.

I look at the contact he's created. Ben Mystery Man Hamilton, and his digits.

I laugh. "Mystery man, hunh?"

"I thought it fitting."

I smile and start to send him a message.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"Texting a mystery man."

He stops me. "I have a better idea."

"Oh?"

"Let's go to my place."

I slip my phone into my purse. "Okay."

"You sure?"

"Yes, Ben. I'm sure."

He smiles and it's a flash of white against the night, and now we're kissing again, all tongues and wet mouths and his hands roaming down my sides. If we keep this up much longer, we're going to be having sex on a street corner.

"Ben," I say into his mouth.

"Yeah?"

"Maybe we should take this inside?"

"Mmmhmmm." He kisses me again then pulls away. "Too public?"

"I mean, probably?"

He laughs and takes my hand, bringing it to his mouth and kissing it. Then he starts to walk and I follow him, our hands linked together, our shoulders touching. The night is dark, and the air feels fresh like rain might be coming. I feel fresh too, like a brand-new person in a way that doesn't entirely make sense, but I'm all about going with it tonight. Going for it.

A few blocks later, Ben stops in front of a building that doesn't look too different than mine. A newer build, stairs out front, a glass entrance door.

"This is me."