Chapter 70. Sugarplum

Start from the beginning

Azalea swung his sword at the dragon's claws, but it barely cut through.

Dragons were dragons. Their scales were impenetrable, unless by blades that not even fire could melt.

"Keep fending the dragon off!" Dimitri ordered, "Delay the dragon until I say so!"

Thus, the three knights continued waving their puny swords at the giant dragon. Willow knew that if she were to get involved, a single tap from the dragon's claws would tear her into shreds. She didn't dare to near closer.

The ice continued to shake.

Their most skilled and shameless warrior—Layla—was separated from them at the time they needed him most. It seemed as if the world purposely piled bad luck after another bad luck for them.

Because of me... Lucilline burrowed his face into his bloodied palms. Another person is going to die. I shouldn't have been selfish. I shouldn't have made Augustine my butler in the first place. Because of my selfish actions, because I didn't want to die according to my fate in the novel... I used this reincarnator as my servant and to run my errands...

"There is a way," a gentle whisper by his ear cleared his muddled thoughts. Light pink eyes seemed to be able to see what exactly laid within him.

Jacques reassured him, "I haven't casted this spell in a long time, so it may take a while." The mage set his staff aside, with the vibrations of the ice forcing it to roll away. However, Jacques did not care and clapped his two slender hands into a prayer. "But I can at least guarantee your butler's survival."

A flicker burned in Lucilline's eyes. Are you sure....?

Jacques read his thoughts. "This small of a wound is nothing for me."

The mage spoke as if Augustine only had a couple of seconds left of his life. His nonchalant tone made Lucilline subconsciously shiver. Perhaps it was the kingdom's cold ice... or maybe it was the abnormality from the mage...

Those pair of light pink eyes shut close.

Jacques chanted a soft prayer beneath his breath. They were gentle mumbles, but nobody could recognize the meaning behind them.

A harsh gust of wind blew his long locks of hair upwards.

Farrah reacted and looked at the mage with keen surprise in her eyes. "This is...!" She had felt the similar power before... according to what little intuition she had left. The magic surging forth in the mage spoke only one word to her: sacrifice.

"I bestow my left eye to heal this wound." Jacques softly hummed.

All of a sudden, his expression contorted in pain. It was as if an invisible pair of hands outstretched and grabbed ahold onto his left eye... that beautiful light pink colour was mesmerizing, resembling the most beautiful pink roses in the field of nobles.

In a flash, it disappeared.

When Jacques reopened his eyes again, only a dark gaping hole replaced his left socket. Small trickles of blood slid down his pale cheeks.

Lucilline had no time to react, as the gaping hole in Augustine's abdomen had quickly regenerated...! Such healing magic was rare—the magic of sacrifice. "Do not cry," Jacques kept his left eye closed, having lost sight from that side. "I am very happy to be of help."