Chapter 56 - Return to the Fire Nation

Start from the beginning

"Why did you say I was captured? Why did you craft this whole story and have me captured peacefully? Why didn't you march me through the city and declare me a traitor?"

"So you admit to assisting the Avatar?"

"Cut the crap. You've known this whole time."

"Watch your tongue!"

Eziri rolled her eyes. "You had no problem branding Zuko a traitor. Why not do the same to me?"

The Fire Lord huffed in annoyance and paced slowly in front of his eldest daughter. "One treacherous child? Well, that's easy enough to explain away. But two? That only reflects poorly on me. It doesn't matter if your brother has redeemed himself or not. The scandal of another insolent heir would only distract the public from what truly matters. We are on the brink of complete and total victory. Soon I will control every city in the world. I cannot have the people of the Fire Nation questioning my ability to lead. You will fall back in line, and you will set your priorities straight. Your only allegiance is to me and this Nation. I will not accept any more foolish rebellious behavior. It is time for you to grow up and accept your responsibilities."

"You know that will never happen. I'd rather die than help you slaughter innocent people."

Ozai smirked. "That can be arranged."

Eziri kept her face blank but her body suddenly felt cold. It didn't matter how long she'd prepared for this moment. It didn't matter how many times she said she'd be executed once she returned home. A small piece of her always hoped that he would show mercy. Nothing could ever prepare her to hear those words come directly from her own father.

"Your siblings told me about your demise in Ba Sing Se." He looked down at her hands with disgust. "It seems all your training has gone to waste."

"I can still firebend." Eziri said defiantly.

Ozai quirked a brow in curiosity. "Can you, now?" He clasped his hands behind his back. "Well, your sister told me about your new abilities. You always were the most talented of your siblings." He circled around her still figure, looking for any hint of a lie. He suspected she was bluffing but she learned how to mask her emotions from the best.

Eziri kept quiet and clenched her teeth at the burning rage that rushed through her. Every word he spoke only served to further her anger.

"I have a proposition for you. With you and your sister by my side, the Fire Nation will be unstoppable. Prove your loyalty to me and I shall show mercy." He paused behind her.

Eziri rolled her eyes. This man was nothing if not persistent. "And if I don't?" Ozai narrowed his eyes at the back of her head and continued his steps around her.

"I don't think you want to find out. You know, your brother was given a second chance; a chance to prove his worth. You would be wise to follow in his footsteps and redeem yourself."

"I don't have to redeem myself to you."

"You were traveling with the Avatar for quite some time. Even after his death, it seems his supporters are still attempting to resist. I'm sure you have valuable information to share. You can join me and give it willingly or I can take the information by force." He continued his steps and paused right in front of her. "We already know about that silly little invasion plan." Eziri's throat tightened and she clenched her fists.

They already knew? She had to warn Aang!

"You won't get a word out of me. I'll never join you." She said confidently, despite the fear of his threat. Maybe if she fed him false information, she could help with the invasion plan somehow. If they were going to torture her, she could just spill a bunch of lies and hope it helps.