Kabanata 26

Kabanata 26

Sweet Pacific Breezes

The Camporazzo's Christmas celebration was a lot of fun than I thought. Pagkatapos naming kumain ay may inihandang laro para sa mga bata at may laro naman na pwedeng makisali ang mga matatanda. But the program was more likely enjoyed by the children who received prizes such as chocolates and even small toys. Ang saya lang tingnan ng mga bata habang naglalaro sila. It somehow reminds me of the time that I spent the Christmas celebration with some families at a refuge site. Dinala ako ni Uncle noon sa tinutulungan nilang mga pamilya and as part of the police forces, they sponsored a Christmas party for them. I remember seeing a lot of jolly faces, that it even made me cry.

"Nabusog ka ba, Cleora? I hope you have eaten enough for your baby. Dapat pareho kayong malusog," the Don told me.

"Ah, yes po. Thank you. Kayo po? Have you eaten? I noticed that you've been here and there. Baka pagod na po kayo," I asked with concern. Kaming dalawa lang sa table dahil nasa loob sina Ada. I asked Isidore to get me a glass of water because I was thirsty.

"Malakas pa naman ako, hija," he let out a croaky chuckle. "I'm glad that you're able to come here. Hindi nakadalo si Isidore last year dahil masyadong busy. Now that he has a wife, I require him to attend this party with you. Mula bata sila ay ito na ang ginagawa namin."

"You must have spent so much in these?" tanong ko, patukoy sa party. The food was more than enough, plus there were gifts—a lot of them to be exact. May mga papremyo pa para sa mga bata. I'm sure it cost them a lot.

"Quite a bit, pero hindi naman mangyayari ang lahat nang ito kung wala ang tulong ng mga tauhan ko. They helped with the menu so we didn't need any catering. They helped with the decorations along with these children. It has been a tradition."

It was no doubt that their family was one of the kindest that I met. They think about the people that were close to them, those who works for them and those that needed their help. Hindi lang naman trabaho ang ibinigay nga mga Camporazzo sa mga taong ito. They had given happiness another meaning. Naninibago lamang ako kasi bago ito sa aking paningin. There are still a lot of things that I needed to know about my husband's family and even my husband himself. I have to accept the fact that I'll be attached to them the moment I married Isidore.

"Dad," Isidore approached our table with the glass of water in his hand. Mukhang natagalan siya sa pagkuha ng tubig sa loob kasi kanina ko pa pinakuha iyon sa kaniya.

"I was just telling Cleora about our tradition."

Umupo sa tabi ko si Isidore sabay lapag ng tubig. "It's warm water. Puro malalamig ang nandoon kaya pumasok ako sa loob," he explained.

"Thank you."

"After the games, there will be a gift giving, Cleora," singit ng Don. Pareho kaming napatingin ni Isidore sa kaniya. "I want you both at the platform to give the gifts to the children. Letitia and I will give the gifts to the workers together with your brother. Kayo naman sa mga bata, if that's fine with you both."

Nagkatinginan kaming dalawa ni Isidore. I didn't know that signing up for our marriage would also mean signing up for their family affairs. I still can't consider myself as part of their family. Ibang-iba ako sa kanila. I can sense that some people here don't really want to accept me. Ang iba sa kanila, ang tingin sa akin ay hindi katulad ng amo nila.

"Sure, Dad," Isidore replied with his eyes on me. Agad niyang ibinalik ang tingin sa ama at ngumiti. He was a little casual to his dad as he shifted to another subject. He brought up another topic about the farm's clinic's client.

When it was time for the gift giving, Isidore and I stood beside the table filled with gifts. Naroon din si Reeve kasama namin habang si Ada ay nakaupo lang kasama ang kaniyang pamilya. I never thought that a day would come that I would stand in front of many people with a little confidence. I felt like a stranger, trying to fit in. Pero nang hawakan niya ako sa baywang at ipinakita sa lahat na nasa tabi ko siya, I was able to breathe.