Kabanata 5

Kabanata 5

Sweet Pacific Breezes

It has been a week since I started working as a researcher at the AquaCare clinic. Although it's just a volunteer job, I chose to stay there almost everyday to also monitor Ira. Siya lang naman ang rason kung bakit ako pumayag na tumulong sa research ng clinic. I wanted to see her everyday and make sure she's alright. I wanted to personally see her recovery.

During my break, I would sneak out to the pool to see Ira. She was doing a lot better than the last time I saw her. Although she still has assistance when swimming, according to the trainer, Ira can swim for a short time. Kapag na-se-sense nilang bibigay ang kaniyang katawan ay agad din naman nilang dadaluhan. Ira had also gotten heavier compared to the first time they brought her here and that's good news.

"Hindi ba siya buntis?" I asked the trainer, Julian.

"Hindi po, Ma'am. Sadyang mabilis siyang lumaki kasi po may gana na siyang kumain," he answered while smiling.

I watched as they swim around the pool. Ira seems enthusiastic today. Siguro ay dahil nakita niya na naman ako. It seems that she's also fond of me or maybe, she knew me because I was the one who rescued her. Dolphins are smart after all. Kaya hindi na rin naman ako magtataka kung makikilala niya ako agad. Also, I want to make my presence known at gusto ko ring ipahiwatig sa kaniya na aalagaan ko rin siya.

"You sneaked out on the pool again," bungad sa akin ni Isidore nang pumasok ako sa kaniyang opisina. Dahan-dahan ko pang binuksan ang pinto, iyon pala ay inaabangan niya na akong pumasok!

He's butt was leaning on the edge of his desk, his legs crossed, while his focus was on his ipad. I bet he was reading again. Araw-araw ay babad ang kaniyang mga mata sa pagbabasa at ipapahinga niya lang iyon kapag may pasyente sila.

I sighed and let go of the doorknob as the door closed. Sumandal ako sa pinto at tiningnan siya. I admit, the doctor looked admirable while he was focused on reading. Mabuti nang ang malamig niyang mga mata ay naroon sa ipad kaysa naman sa akin.

"Bakit hindi ako pwedeng lumapit? I'm not going to bring harm to her."

Bigla niyang inangat ang tingin sa akin. His cold eyes almost made my body frozen on the spot.

"This is why I don't want you near her. You sneak out whenever you want to without asking for my permission. Kailangan ko pa bang ipaalala sa'yo na nagta-trabaho ka para sa akin? Taking care of that dolphin--

"Ira, her name's Ira," I cut him off. Kung makapagsalita siya ay parang walang halaga iyon sa kaniya. He's just treating her like a patient without giving her a proper name!

He sighed. "She's out of your responsibility at hindi rin parte ng trabaho mo rito ang alagaan siya."

"So if I ask your permission, will you let me near her? Kapag pumupunta ako sa kaniya, nasa malayo lang ako since you don't want people near her. If I ask for your permission, then, will I get to touch her?"

"No. You're here for the research, so do what you have to do and stay out of trouble."

I stared at him blankly. Hindi ko talaga alam kung saan nag-uugat itong kasungitan niya. I get that we have to be serious about the job but it wouldn't hurt to loosen up. Isang lingo na ako rito at hindi ko man lang nakita na ngumiti siya nang totoo. He'd smile like he was forced to do it. It's a mystery to me why people were fond of him. I've been seeing a lot of his clients who were always smiling whenever they're done with their appointment with him.

What do I even have to do to get his permission to let me touch Ira? Mukha bang kukunin ko si Ira mula sa kaniya kaya ayaw niya akong palapitin? I am a licensed researcher and biologist. I have knowledge about marine mammals. Pinag-aralan ko naman iyon. I can show him all of my credentials again if he wants to.