A way out

Yudhishthir's pov

Bheem and Nakul nudged each other with identical wicked grins on their face as Arjun gazed, moony-eyed, at the podium where the Princess and her family was seated.

"It was quite a stroke on luck to stumble across such a helpful stranger, wasn't it, Bhrata Arjun?" Sahadev asked.

"What?" said Arjun distractedly.

"Also lucky it is not a test that requires any sort of sensible speaking," added Bheem.

Yudhishthir indicated at them to lay off, and put a hand on Arjun's shoulder. Not that he seemed to notice, but he meant for it to be good luck.

The task to win the Princess' hand was not easy.

To begin with, the bow was nearly impossible to be stringed. If you did get it stringed, the target--the eye of a golden fish--was not only high up and tiny, it had to be aimed at solely by looking at its reflection.

Dozens of kings failed. Yudhishthir knew, though, that his brother would not fail. He would not have failed even if he was not smitten by the Princess, but since he was smitten by her, he would most definitely not fail.

He did not.

*******************

They kept up the guise of Brahmins right till Draupadi garlanded the victor and was garlanded in return. She tried to catch his eyes as they did, but in spite of having won a near-impossible contest, Arjun appeared confused, nervous, and determined to look at anything but her.

Yudhishthir told King Drupad that the wedding could not be completed without their mother's blessings; they would be back by the following day. Madhav, Arjun's benefactor, had revealed some version of their true identity to the King, but he did not look put out.

The Pandavas waited by the chariots as Draupadi waited for her twin brother to turn up.

Drishtadyumna finally appeared from a corner. His eyes were suspiciously red and his face was blotchy. Draupadi dissolved into tears at sight of him.

"Fare thee well, sis," said Drish dramatically, but the effect was compromised because his voice choked.

"You idiot." Draupadi gave him a strangling hug. "You will come to visit me, won't you?"

"I will come every week, sis," promised Drish.

"L-little sis," corrected Draupadi.

Drishtaduymna kissed her head fiercely and gave Arjun such a ferocious look that poor Arjun took a step back, looking horrified.

"You mess around with her, I bury you alive into the ground."

"Drish!"

Madhav and all of Arjun's brothers laughed, though Yudhishthir thought he ought not to.

"Of course, I--I--" said Arjun, flustered. "I don't intend to mess around with your sister."

********************

It would have ended a perfect day after Duryodhan's pettiness yesterday.

Hastinapur's palace was uproarious with New Year celebrations. In the enormous court, the elders were offering prayers to their deities.

"Maa, we're back!" cried Nakul.

"Just a second, my dears--" Queen Mother Kunti was intent on her prayer.

"But Maa," Arjun said. "Look what we have got!"

His mother spoke absent-mindedly. "Share it equally amongst yourself."