Diamond in the Rough (Chapter 4)

Start from the beginning

Now that we were on the subject...

"Hey, Hana?" I said to her. "That little girl was me."

Hana looked at me with eyes wide open. "...You saw the show?"

I nodded. "I remember seeing your name in the program. 'Staring Hana Waters as Aislin', it said on the cover. I remember getting chosen out of the audience, and being sang to. Because of you, I had the dream of playing as Aislin. If it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't even be interested in performing arts."

Hana counted her fingers, probably counting how many years went by. She slowly looked at me. "Oh my gosh, it was you." Hana answered with astonishment. "I feel like I've changed someone's life or something..."

"You have," I replied. "You inspired me to be in the performing arts, and you've taught me so much. You've made me who I am today."

Hana smiled, and gave me a hug. "I know you can do it. Now go in there and show everyone how great of an Aislin you can be!" She told me with enthusiasm.

"I will!" I said back, and ran into the Kirk Douglas Theatre with no fear at all.

***

I sat in the lobby, filling out the paper work to audition. In order to audition, you had to sing a song from "Daydreams", so I was glad. "I Won't Give Up On My Dream" is the song that I'm most familiar with. Apparently, there is also a dance section in the audition. Thank goodness Hana has been teaching me the dance for the audition. There's also a part where I have to read several lines that my chosen character says from the script. Luckily, Hana has been teaching me to act too.

I smiled as I wrote down "Aislin" as the character that I would like to audition for. Soon after I turned in the paper work, I was called up to audition. I stepped into the theatre room, and walked up the steps with confidence in myself. I looked out into the audience and saw three judges once again. Two of them were women, one with short black hair and one with curly red hair, and the last one was a man with brown hair. The women wore nice white dresses, and the man wore a black coat and tie.

"Good day, miss Karkea." The male judge greeted. He looked down at some papers, which appeared to be my paper work. "So, you're sixteen years old, and you'd like to be considered for the role of Aislin?"

"Yes sir," I answered with a smile. "I've been dreaming of having that role for years."

"Ah, it looks like you have the personality for her!" The judge laughed. "Aislin is certainly a character who wants to follow her dreams." He looked at his watch. "Well, it looks like It's time for you to sing. Good luck!" The judge turned on the speaker next to him, and the music began to play peacefully.

I can do this.

As I sang, I thought about everything that happened. The day when I was six, all those years that I ignored the people who tried to bring me down, the day of the talent competition...I sang with all the strength that I had. All the power that built up in me until this day. I gave it my all as I sang the meaningful lyrics. I moved my hands to the song, gesturing the emotion in it. Then slowly, the music faded out...

"Thank you very much, Miss Karkea," The judge said. I watched as the judges scribbled down their thoughts of the performance on a piece of paper. "Now on to the dance section. Are you familiar with the dance for the audition?"

"Yes," I answered.

The judge smiled. "Very good. Please begin the dance to the rhythm of the music the speaker is about to play." He pressed the play button on the speaker, and the music that played on Hana's speaker started playing.