Diamond in the Rough (Chapter 4)

I had a feeling that I've never felt before when they called my name.

It might have been bliss.

Or maybe achievement.

But it could have been... feeling a door open.

Now I have the One Hundred Fifty dollars.

I just have to get the role.

***

"Alright Kaimana! Yes, that's it! Step to the left... And here's the twist!" Hana said, clapping her hands to the music that played through the speaker she brought.

I moved my feet across the green back yard grass. Hana came to my house whenever she could to teach me in my back yard. I was wearing some dance shoes that I bought on discount for five dollars. They felt so much easier to dance in than my regular white sneakers.

Right foot over left foot...I turned. "This is kinda tricky..." I said with a nervous tone.

"That's okay!" Hana smiled. "Just keep practicing, you'll get it!"

I hoped that I would get it soon. Auditions for "Daydreams" are in a month, and that doesn't give me much time to perfect my dancing skills. I put my hands on my hips and kept dancing the dance moves that Hana taught me. Side step, box step, grape vine...

Hana stopped the music. "Very good job, Kaimana! Don't give up, and you can do it!" She grinned and looked at her watch. "I've got to go help some kids at a theatre workshop now. Can't have the little ones waiting. See you tomorrow!" She waved and walked out the gate with her mini speaker, locking it as she left.

I slowly sat down on the warm, green grass. I stretched my long arms into the air and yawned. Practice was so tiring. But I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the feeling that every day I practice is one step closer to my dream. I enjoyed the feeling that soon, I'll be like Hana, teaching young children who watch the show to never give up on their dream.

I dazed up at the sun, and slowly, peacefully, I began to hum my favorite song.

***

Auditions for the musical came much faster than I thought they would.

It was hard to believe it was already February. Hard to believe that the day I've been waiting for for ten years is already here. It feels like everything came up so suddenly. Maybe that's how it feels when someone auditions for something. Everything seems to happen in a matter of seconds.

I wore the same outfit that I wore for the talent competition. A flowery patterned blue, green, and white top. My least worn out or ripped up jeans. My only pair of shoes. I figured that since I won the talent competition wearing this outfit, it might bring me good luck. I need all the luck I can get, since this is my one and only chance. My one and only chance to my dream. The climax of my life.

Hana drove me to the auditions in her shiny black car. Hana's car was so cool, there were buttons on the sides of the doors that could roll the windows up and down, and it had a built in radio! It may seem pretty normal for a lot of people, but my family doesn't have a car. I don't get to ride them very often.

The car slowly stopped moving, and Hana opened the door. I opened mine, and stepped outside onto the sidewalk. I looked up at the letters that said "KIRK DOUGLAS THEATRE".

Here we go.

"Are you ready for this, Kaimana?" Hana asked me with an excited voice.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I said, smiling with my bright white teeth.

Hana put a hand on my shoulder. "I remember when I was your age, when I auditioned for this show in this very theatre. When I was asked to have the role of Aislin, I was in shock. That was one of the biggest things that's ever happened to me in my life." She sighed peacefully. "I remember at the end of the performance, the girl who plays as Aislin picks a random little girl out of the audience to sing to. That was always my favorite part. I loved the feeling that I was making others happy."