Author's Note [3]

Start from the beginning

“I still think it was a stupid idea,” snorts Damon. “We can’t trust that guy.”

“I disagree,” I intervene. “Elijah is truly a man of his word. He’s the most likely Original to actually keep his promises and based on what I know, he’s never actually broken a deal.”

“So he’s the most trustworthy one out of a bunch of old vamps?” asks Damon.

“Basically.”

“Where does Aly rank on that list?”

“She’s all over the place,” I laugh. “She can be the nicest person ever or she can be the biggest backstabber. It really depends on her mood at the time.”

“So wait, there are more Originals other than Klaus, Elijah and Alayne, correct?” questions Stefan. “Do you think you could tell us a bit about them? Just some history?”

I sigh. “I won’t give you full details because that’ll be an information overload and I’m not your history professor. I’m just going to give you the basics,” I reply. “So as you know, there’s Klaus, Elijah and Alayne. Elijah is probably the ‘nicest’ while Klaus is the absolute worst. Like I said earlier, Aly varies. Then there are Finn, Kol, Rebekah and Mikael. As far as I’m concern, they are all currently out of commission so you don’t have to worry about them.”

“Out of commission?” Stefan furrows his eyebrows and I stifle my laughter. I see what Aly means now.

“Yup. At one point in time, Klaus decided he was going to dagger any of the Originals that he had a dispute with.”

“So where are they now?” asks Damon.

“They’re with Klaus and they’re boxed up in coffins,” I reply.

“How do you know all this?” Stefan questions.

“Unlike some of the Originals, I have been alive for the full thousand years,” I shrug. “I’m a Verone, my family and I are practically Originals. We’ve all been alive since the Originals were changed. We know stuff.”

Stefan nods. “Thanks for the history lesson. We somewhat have a better understanding of the Originals now.”

“Wait a minute… You said several of the Originals were daggered and boxed up in coffins. Are they dead?” asks Damon.

I take a moment to choose my words carefully. “No they aren’t. But they’re not alive either. You can’t kill an Original, end of story,” I snap.

“But you can put them out?” presses Damon.

“Yes,” I say tersely.

“Damon, don’t push him,” warns Stefan. He looks at me. “Thank you for the information. I understand you didn’t have to say anything and I appreciate it.”

I smirk at him. “No problem. But do me a favour and stop furrowing your eyebrows. You’ll get wrinkles that way.”

Stefan facepalms himself. “You sound just like Aly.”

***

It is later in the evening and I’m at the Grill, minding my own business. I already had several girls and even some older women come and chat me up but I turned them all down. I had Alayne so I wasn’t interested in any of them.

There is a commotion coming from the one side of the restaurant but I just ignore it as I down a shot of alcohol. Where was Aly? I’m starting to get worried but then I remember she’s an Original and not much can happen to her. Oh well, I guess old habits die hard.