Opening the paper, she scoffs, "Un-freaking-believeable. This serves as an acknowledgment that you understand this written reprimand was issued."

Gabby and Shay shake their heads, "Nicole, we've said it once, we'll say it again, you did the right thing. That girl would have died."

"Hey, it's barely a slap on the wrist. I know Carlo over there. I'll make sure this goes right in his circular file," Mouch tells her.

"Thanks, but I'm more pissed that I have a reprimand before Kelly."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole sits by Matt's bedside as Hallie comes in while Antonio stands opposite of them, "No cracked ribs. You're next in line for the CT scan. Sit up for me."

Matt grunts as he sits up, his torso covered in bruises while Hallie listens to his lungs. Looking out the window, Nicole sees Boden and Truck 81 members arrive.

"Lungs sound clear. Good, you can lay back," Nicole stands and helps Matt lay down comfortably as Boden enters the room, sharing a nod with Antonio. 

"Casey, how are you?" 

Antonio starts asking Matt questions, "So no faces for these guys? Markings? Anything distinguishable?"

Matt thinks as he puts an ice pack on his face, "One of them had a tattoo. Forearm."

"Left? Right?"

"Left," Matt says, sounding unsure, "Maybe right."

"Think," Antonio prompts.

Matt slams the ice pack down on the bed, "I am thinking."

Nicole decides to intervene, "Maybe this can wait until Matt's been cleared."

Antonio studies Matt before nodding, "Alright. Alright, rest for a few," Before leaving.

Boden approaches an agitated Matt, "Matt. Matt! Believe me, I know what you're going through and I know what you're thinking. But we are gonna figure out how to do this the right way. Do you hear me?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

He leaves so it's just Nicole and Matt in the room. She sits on the side of his bed, holding the ice pack on his face, "Chief's right."

"I'm not gonna just sit back and take it," He tells her.

"I'm not saying you should, but you've gotta be smart. One bad decision and you're the bad guy and that's what he wants. You lose all creditability and you lose yourself. Promise me you'll be smart," Nicole reminds him.

"I promise," Matt nods, tilting his chin up for a kiss which she gives easily. 

She looks to the door and sees Truck 81 come into the room, "I'll let you talk with your boys. I'm gonna go check with Hallie and take a peek at your scans."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Arriving at the firehouse, Nicole shakes her head as Matt walks with her, Herrmann greeting him, "Hey, Lieutenant."

"You should take a few more days, Casey. Well within your rights," Mouch tells him.

"That's what I said," Nicole sighs, not liking Matt being back so soon.

"Eh, I'll just be staring at the ceiling. I'm here to look at mugshots."

Antonio makes his presence known, "Speaking of, where would you like to do this?"

They go to the conference room as Nicole looks to the Truck boys, "Keep an eye on him, please. Make sure he doesn't overdo it?"

"Of course," Herrmann tells her, patting her shoulder, "We'll look after him."