Chapter 14: The Unspoken Promise

*Unedited

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓭 breaks the windows. A force continues to push the crowd down.

Dust swirls around Pavetta and Duny, who are oblivious to everything except each other. She takes him into her arms. Elder speech escapes her in a slow whisper.

I have not felt this kind of magic in eons. Despite my best efforts, the shock has left me frozen in place.

My emerald eyes widen when the couple is lifted into the air by the maelstrom. I do not register how it does not so much as ruffle my hair. All I can do is gaze up at them in awe.

A voice breaks me out of my daze. My head snaps towards the disturbance. Geralt stands, back hunched and arms trying to block the wind. He yells, "Ness!"

But he's thrown back into the pillar behind him.

It's enough.

I walk toward the middle of the cyclone. A shaky breath leaves my lips. I reach deep inside myself for a morsel of the power within me. Enough to stop this but not enough to draw unwanted attention.

My words are laced with Chaos, they echo only to Pavetta and Duny, "Deireádh het a'taeghane!"

End this now!

The moment I speak, a force of my own shoots out to break the spell. It barrels into the princess whose eyes are already on me. She and Urcheon plummet to the ground but I soften their landing with a wave of my hand.

Silence reigns in the hall.

Geralt comes to my side but says nothing.

I turn towards the queen and open my arms, "Do you believe in Destiny now, Lioness of Cintra?"

She slowly steps toward her daughter and embraces her. Everyone else stands up to watch the scene.

When Calanthe and Pavetta separate, the queen's voice is that of a mother, "I thought your grandmother's gift had skipped you... as it did me. It seems I was wrong. About so many things."

A strange emotion fills my chest. It can't be. I thought that... I thought that the line was broken long ago.

The Lioness yells, "Destiny has spoken! And I have listened. The Law of Surprise will be honored. Pavetta will marry Lord Urcheon."

Murmurs erupt around us but Eist joins the queen's side, "React poorly, and you won't just face the Lioness, you will be facing the sea hounds of Skellige. Because Queen Calanthe... has agreed to my proposal of marriage."

Sly dog indeed.

Duny, Pavetta, Calanthe, and Eist all join hands in one line, showcasing the bonds that are tied together by blood and fate. The Lioness announces, "There will be two vows here tonight! I assume that's agreeable."

Everyone nods.

The queen smirks, "Delightful."

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

Candles rest in the hands of those standing in a circle. Geralt, Eist, Mousesack, and I are just inside the ring. I glance over my shoulder to see Jaskier holding a lady in his arms before returning to the ceremony.

The princess and her love kneel in front of Calanthe. Their hands are bound with a cloth befitting the nation. The queen smiles gently as she says, "Pavetta. Duny. With my blessing... I thee bind."