Chapter 2 - "AmaLobolo"

Lungelo's POV

*6 WEEKS LATER*

I look back at myself in the mirror as my sister , Sbahle, placed a beige scarf over my shoulders and pinned a brooch on it. I honestly wonder who chose this outfit. It must be aunt Phume , judging by the floral dress and pink doek I had on. It's just so much her style.

"Ok! Let me go and check on Lungelo!" I hear my mother yell in the kitchen over all the chatter and sounds of pots clashing as the women prepared the food.

Ma frantically walks in and steals a glance of me. Despite the beads of sweat rolling down her face , she flashes a huge smile.

"Wow mntanami , you already make a beautiful bride. I can't wait for your wedding day!" She smiles , placing her hands on her hips.

Sbahle smiles. "exactly ma, her husband will be a lucky man..."

I roll my eyes at her and laugh.

"Ok girls! It seems that you are almost ready. Just call Thobile , and ask what time she arrives. Sbahle, please , put on something less..." Ma pauses and looks at Sbahle's outfit distastefully

"Less revealing?". She says raising her eyebrows in annoyance.

"Exactly! You can't be showing off your thighs to the uncles! What will people think?! You're the bride's older sister , you need to look presentable! Maybe you might find yourself a groom , who knows?" Ma says , adding emphasis on the last sentence.

"Hawu ma!" She exclaims in embarrassment , and I break into laughter.

"Let me get going, I also need to go iron for your father." She says , and walks out of the room.

"Shintsha iOutfit weSbahle!" I laugh , mocking her.

She gives me a "whatever" look and walks out of the room.

...2 HOURS LATER

I plop onto the bed and stare aimlessly at my reflection in the mirror. It's been more than an hour , and the Khozas haven't arrived. I look back at my phone nervously. I've called Jama about 12 times , and he's not replying. Maybe his phone is off or something.

"Sbahle! Stop peeking out of the window every 2 minutes, you're making me nervous!"

"Haibo mngee , what if they've changed their minds?" Thobile says , and I feel myself sweating.

"No! They can't do that , they can't just cancel everything at last moment. No , they are just late"

"Then why isn't Jama returning your calls? You never know! He might have gotten cold feet and decided to call the whole thing off."

"He won't do that!" I spat back.

"And how do you know?" Sbahle.

"Because he loves me , and he's serious about making me his wife!"

"Ntomboo , I said that about Mkhonto too , look at me now , 29 going onto 30 , I'm still a spinster. Love is just a stupid excuse for boys to use you and dispose you like a tissue!" Sbahle says says mockingly.

"Please , Jama is nothing uMkhonto. He loves me. I know he loves me. I see it in the way he smiles , the way he looks at me..." I trail off blushing and Thobile bursts into laughter.

"Now what are you looking at?" I say, feeling my eyebrows form into a frown

"Hayi , ang'hleki wena!" She laughs.

"Whatever. Jama will be here soon , and when the sun sets today , I'll be Mrs Khoza!" I say , smiling.

"Ooohhhh..." Thobile coos.

"Lungi, they're here!" Sbahle says smiling soon after she peeks through the curtains.

"Let me see!" Out of anticipation , I rush towards the window to see 3 men stepping out of the Fortuner. They walk towards the gate and yell out my clan names. I sit back on the bed , smiling like an idiot.

"Hamba Lungi!" Sbahle laughs.

It feels like an eternity until I hear faint knocking on the door. My heart is thumping so hard out of happiness and nerves , I think I might actually have a heart attack.

"Come , let's go! Get the blankets , cover her , and then we'll just quickly cover ourselves in the kitchen!" Thobile hurriedly briefs Sbahle on the procedure.

Thobile places a huge blanket over my head , and guides me towards the door.

Ma opens the door. I can quickly see from the expression on her face that something bad happened. My heart immediately sunk into my stomach as I began thinking of the worst.

"What if Jama really cancelled the whole lobola thing?"

"Mah..." I gulp , swallowing the lump that sat at the too of my throat , "Kwenzakalani? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

She just stared at me in pity , and now I was beginning to worry.

"Mah , speak...you're scaring me."

I see her trying to gather up her thoughts and courage , I can see she's battling to hold back tears.

"Mah , speak!" I snap , feeling tears that were now rolling down my cheeks as well.

"Mntanami..." she starts off and pauses , handing me what seems to be a handwritten letter.

With trembling hands , I quickly grab the letter and open it.

"Dear S'thandwa Sami , Lungi wami.

If you're reading this , I'm probably no more. I had to do it , I'm so sorry for that my love. I had to take my own life. I couldn't bear to live behind bars for a crime I didn't commit. I'm so sorry for breaking your heart and hurting you. But living with the pain and shame of knowing I'm being blamed from a crime I didn't didn't commit was going to hurt me more than you. She was going around telling people that I forced myself onto her and that...."

Suddenly the words became harder for me to read.

"No , no , no , it can't be , it can't be" I mutter to myself with tears of horror and shock streaming down my face. I feel like I'll lose my mind. I could feel my head get heavier , my breathing getting more difficult.

My hands went numb, and I slumped and fell onto the floor , tumbling into darkness.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

guys , if you enjoyed this chapter , please comment and vote! ❤️ chapter 3 is coming soon! thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed. ❤️🤗