055. rabbit's foot

Start from the beginning

"Whoever broke in here got tagged." Sam says.

"Dear old dad. I got two sets of boot treads here, looks like it was a two man job. And our friend with the buckshot in him looks like he kept walking." Dean says.

"So, what's the deal? Dad would do work here or something?" Sam asks.

"Living the high life, as usual." Dean says. They look around more, Dean picking up a trophy. "1995."

"No way! That's my Division Championship soccer trophy. I can't believe he kept this." Sam says.

"Yeah... it was probably about the closest you ever came to being a boy." Dean comments. "Oh, wow! It's my first sawed-off. I made it myself -- sixth grade."

Natalie turns away from them, tuning them out, knowing she won't find anything she ever did as a kid. Able to sense her sadness, Ophelia makes her way over to her aunt and hugs her. Natalie softly smiles at her, lightly scratching the girl's back while she pushes any emotions back.

Sam goes to the back and opens a door. The chain on the door is cut and they walk in.

"Holy, shit. Look at this, he had land mines... which they didn't take. Or the guns. I guess they knew what they were after, huh?" Dean asks.

"Hey, guys, check this out." Sam points out boxes that have symbols on them. "See these symbols? That's binding magic. These are curse boxes."

"Curse boxes? Th-- they're supposed to keep the evil mojo in, right? Kinda like the Pandora deal?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, they're built to contain the power of the cursed object." Sam says.

"Well, dad's journal did mention a whole bunch of stuff, you know? Dangerous hexed items, fetishes... he never did say where they ended up." Dean says.

"Yeah. Well, this must be his toxic waste dump." Sam says. "One box is missing. Great."

"Well, maybe they didn't open it." Dean hopefully suggests.

+++

They pull up in an alley outside of an apartment complex. They're behind a car and Dean leans out to look at the license plate.

"Connecticut. Last three digits 880." Dean says.

"Yep, that's it." Sam says.

"Should've blacked out their plates before they parked in front of the security camera." Dean says.

"Okay, girls, stay here." Sam says. "Well, little girls." He clarifies.

"No, daddy." Libby whines.

"I'll be back soon, baby. I promise." Sam tells her. "I promise. I'll be back. It's not safe for you to go inside."

Libby pouts, sniffling, though manages to calm down somewhat quicker than previous times.

The siblings go inside and burst into the apartment, holding their guns at the two men.

"Don't move!" Sam orders.

"What is this?" Wayne asks.

"Stop!" Sam shouts.

"All right, give us the box. And please tell me that you didn't--"

"Oh, they did." Sam cuts his brother off.

"You opened it?!" Dean exclaims, shoving Wayne against the wall.

"Are you guys cops?" Wayne asks.

"What was in the box?" Dean asks.

Wayne glances at the coffee table, everybody looking to see a rabbit's foot.

"Oh, was that it, huh? It was, wasn't it? What is that thing?" Dean asks. Wayne knocks Dean's gun from his hand. It falls to the floor and fires, the bullet bouncing off the radiator and hitting Sam's gun before hitting Natalie's gun, both falling to the floor. The bullet knocks into a lamp, breaking it.