He Knows [chapter 40]

daily updates because i've finally finished writing this damn thing. enjoy!

"Come on," the girl mumbled as she led Peter out of her room. They'd snuck in through the fire escape window, and she was headed for the bathroom where she'd determined she'd wash the hands of Peter's suit to rid it of the blood. "Let's try to clean you up a little bit."

There was only a slight problem though: the shower was running, and someone was singing.

They both stopped in their tracks, "Cairo."

"Kitchen, kitchen," the girl ushered him out of the hallway and into the living room that connected to the kitchen. "Hurry up and get changed out of your hero suit. I can't have anyone else finding out about you— much less, Cairo."

Peter looked completely dead. While his partner was ignoring the death of their closest friend and continuing on with the mission like nothing happened, Peter simply couldn't. He couldn't breeze by the fact he was the cause if Flash's death. That his biggest bully but best friend could be standing with them in that small apartment. Instead of freaking out about Flash's death and how they should continue to approach the situation with minimal emotion, they could've been done with the fighting.

But what could've been will never be. Flash was dead; there was nothing more to it.

"Peter?" the girl called out to him when she'd received no response.

"Yeah, yeah," Peter sighed. He forced himself out of his head, "I heard. One small thing though, Sunshine."

She raised a brow in questioning, "And that would be...?"

"What clothes do I have to change into?" Peter asked. Technically speaking, Peter Parker had never once set foot in that residence. Every single time, including this one, was Spider-man at work, asking a civilian for just a little assistance.

"Huh," she mumbled out. It was the first time she thought about that one. "Use Cairo's maybe. I'd assume you guys were about the same size."

Peter stopped, turning around to stare at her like she was crazy. "Have you seen that monster?! He's huge!"

"No he's not," she rolled her eyes at his exaggeration.

"Yes he is!" Peter argued back. "Just take a look at me and then wait for Cairo to—"

"Wait for me to what?" Cairo asked without looking away from his phone as he dried his hair with a towel.

Somewhere along the few minutes they had been in the apartment and conversing, the noise of a running shower had stopped. And somewhere along the line, the creaky door sounded to let everyone in the apartment, and then some, know that someone had opened the door to their bathroom.

Peter and y/n looked away from each other in alarm, turning to face Cairo. With Peter still in his Spider-man suit because neither of them had never quite come to the agreement whether or not Peter was going to wear Cairo's clothes.

"Told you he was shredded," Peter said into the silence. There wasn't really anything he could do to continue hiding his other identity from Cairo. Not with the situation he was currently in, so Peter had determined that he may as well continue with proving his point.

"Oh? Y/n, you didn't tell me your boyfriend was coming over—" Cairo stopped abruptly when he'd finally looked away from his phone.

Peter grinned, waving at Cairo nonchalantly, "Howdy!"

Cairo's mouth fell open as he stared. His hand not holding his phone came up and pointed at Peter, then his sister, then back at Peter. Sometimes, there are moments when you think you've truly gotten to know a person only for them to throw the strongest curve ball they could muster up. This was one of those moments for Cairo. "What the fuck?!"