Part I

I walked down the old dirt road. My purple kimono brushed through the dust and left a fine trail behind. The sun was already set, and the only light ahead of me was the pale moon rising in the sky. I had never seen this road so empty. It was usually a busy place. Even at night, one could meet merchants and late travelers, even soldiers marching under unknown orders. Not tonight. It felt ghostly and deserted, as if everyone had agreed that tonight was not the night to be traveling.

I noticed a large rock and sat on it, thinking today was a bad night for hunting. There was an inevitable disappointment in the realization I might have to go home empty-handed. Recently I have been very successful in my little mischiefs. I was good at making humans regret some of their choices and wondering why they bring all their trouble to themselves. I may have grown too confident and arrogant. It has been way too easy these days to lure a lonely traveler to follow his heart's deepest and darkest desires.

As I was about to give up and turn back into my natural form, I heard the sound of horseshoes. I froze for a second, making sure I didn't make any noise so I could focus. It was undoubtedly a horse, and with every step, it came closer to me. The area was so deserted that the hooves sounded almost like thunder. I quickly reached for the little mirror I kept in my handbag, ensuring my looks were perfect. The beautiful flower kanzashi decorated the neatly fixed black hair of my chosen form. My lips were still bright red from the lipstick, and black eyeliner was completing my eyes. I liked the perfection and attractiveness of this look. There was something sinister but also so alluring in the feminine elegance I had been able to recreate.

Moments later, I saw the horse approaching from the far side of the road. It was a magnificent animal, chestnut colored with a fine, strong build. It took me a few seconds to see the rider. The man's shape became more visible with every step the horse made. Although he was riding, I could tell he was tall and sat with pride on the saddle, short black hair covered his head, and from here, I could see the delicate blue silk of his clothes. A foxy smile appeared on my lips, and I had to control my excitement. I quickly reached for my sandal and pulled the little strap biding it to my foot, tearing the thing so that it couldn't be fixed easily. The satisfied expression on my face turned into absolute distress and disappointment. For a second, I wondered if I should shed a few tears but decided that would ruin the perfect make-up. While practice taught me innocence and tears moved some mean, I would rely on charm tonight.

"Not a place for a lady." Said the horseman as he reached me.

I could see his face better now. He was young for a human, maybe in his mid-twenties, the features on his face were sharp but somewhat elegant, but his eyes made me look at him longer than I probably should have. There was power and mysterious darkness there, making me feel some strange fascination I had not experienced with humankind before.

"My lord," I responded as I got up and bowed my head. "I was on my way to the capital, but my sandal tore."

I showed him the shoe I was holding in my hand. It wasn't difficult to guess he was not just a merchant. That was a warhorse he was riding, and the two swords on his belt were castle forged. I might not be a human, but my mentor always said that to trap something, you need to understand it. I spent years studying their kind and understanding who they were, so I could be better at what I did. Observation paid well.

"Unfortunate." He said as his eyes trailed my shape.

I gave him a shy smile, trying to avert my gaze in pretend embarrassment, but I was still mesmerized by the cold darkness of his look. A moment passed, then another, and neither of us said anything. In this same situation, other men would have offered to help immediately. Walk me to the nearest village or inn, and help me with my sandal. This stranger didn't offer any of that, but he didn't walk away either.