Chapter VIII: Lilian and Demons

A formal dining room. Lilian looked around where he sat at a long table set for at least twenty people, although there were only four present. Candelabras lit the table, and large chandeliers hung from the ceiling high overhead.

"Ah, wonderful!" declared Count Dodrescu. "Our guest has finally arrived. Lilian – may I call you Lilian? We have been anxiously awaiting your arrival all day."

"But, you threw me out last night," said Lilian. "You assaulted me, and physically threw me out of the front doors!"

Dodrescu waved his hand in a dismissive manner as he sipped from his wine glass. "A misunderstanding, please think nothing of it. You may think me very old-fashioned, sweet Lilian, but I believe that men and women are in no way equal. Men are meant to be men, and women are meant to be women. This is not a bad thing, and it does not mean one is better than the other. Indeed, I love all women, and hold them in the highest regard. This modern concept, that women should strive to be like men is repugnant to me, and so I reacted as you have seen. Indeed, the only thing that could cause me greater anger would be a man, who strived to be like a woman!"

Dodrescu laughed, and was joined by Ilinca and Daciana. Lilian tried to laugh as well, feeling distinctly uneasy.

"Yes," said Daciana. "Just imagine how the Master would react if such a person came to Castle Dodrescu," she said to Lilian, a note of warning in her voice.

Ilinca had been staring at Lilian for some time. "I like what you've done with your hair," she finally said. "I like the colour, it suits you."

"Oh, my hair!" said Lilian, suddenly realizing it was not on his shoulders, but somehow arranged on top of his head. He pulled a piece in front of his face where he could see. "Why, what colour is it?"

Ilinca continued, ignoring Lilian's question. "And your makeup is amazing. Who did it for you?"

Lilian tried to remember the name. "Grigore Albescu, I think his name was," he told her.

"Albescu?" said Ilinca in surprise. "You are so lucky! I would love to have Albescu do my makeup some day. He is very good."

 "Enough," Dodrescu informed them. "This conversation bores me. Our dear Miss Van Schattigdame is here for a reason and so perhaps we should move on."

Lilian glanced around at the faces staring expectantly at him from across the table. He nervously cleared his throat, then wiped his lips lightly with his napkin even though he had not eaten anything. He stood and took a cleansing breath...

"My company," he began, "provides office furniture to some of the largest firms in the world. The furniture we supply is designed to provide lasting value to your..."

"What are you going on about?" asked the Count.

"I thought?" said Lilian in confusion. "Isn't that why I'm here?"

The Count laughed, a deep baritone. "This must all be very confusing to you. I believe you have had some trouble with your memory. Why don't you now remember everything that has happened to you today?"

Dodrescu stared at Lilian, and even across the large table Lilian could feel his power. Something twisted within his head, and Lilian fell back into his chair as he suddenly remembered everything.

"You!" he said, looking at Ilinca and Daciana. "You were in my room last night. You dressed me like a," Lilian hesitated and glanced at the Count before continuing, "like you did. But before that, we were, the three of us were, um..."

Daciana looked down to hide her smile, while Ilinca nodded and looked very pleased. Lilian could feel himself blushing as he continued.

"And you!" he said, turning to the Count. "You were there as well. You were, kissing, my neck? And talking of death, and I was to be your... Bride!"

"Ah, sweet Lilian," said Dodrescu. "It pleases me so to see you have your memories returned. And now the time has arrived. Ladies, shall we have a toast to the bride before the ceremony?"

Dodrescu and the sisters stood and raised their glasses, in salute to Lilian. Lilian sat in shock for a moment, then stood and shoved his chair from the table.

"Don't think I'm stupid!" he yelled. "I know what you did to me. You hypnotized me. Everything that happened to me today, that was all your doing, just to bring me here. And now you expect me to say 'I do' in your wedding ceremony, but I won't!"

"My dearest Lilian," said the Count in his oily-smooth voice. "You are quite wrong. As my bride you are not expected to say anything. The only thing I expect is that you will die!"

The Count and the two sisters, still standing and holding out their glasses, began to laugh. Lilian stared in horror, only beginning to understand what was happening to him. He backed away from the three demons, who did not move but simply watched him and continued to laugh. Lilian reached the door to the dining room and escaped into the hall beyond, running as fast as he could.

Ilinca turned to the Count and pleaded, "Please, Master, may we go after her? May we chase her? Please, let us be the ones!"

Dodrescu addressed the Sirens. "I suppose you may," he told them with feigned reluctance. Ilinca looked pleased as he continued, "Chase her, but do not allow her to come to harm! I must go now to prepare for the ceremony. Have your fun, but bring her to the tower unharmed by midnight."

"Yes, Master," said Daciana.

"Thank you, Master!" added Ilinca with a devilish laugh. The sisters left Dodrescu alone in the dining room as they literally flew down the hall in pursuit of their quarry.

Dodrescu stood in thought, then turned and marched decisively from the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: It seems like such a long time since we've seen anything of the demons. But the next few chapters will make up for that! And don't worry that they have been idle - they've been working hard arranging all sorts of surprises!  "^,..,^"