MSMC Bk 6 - Chapter 19

Chapter 19-Mindy & Claire reunited!

Mindy's POV

I think it was the young man who had been driving us that opened my door when the car finally stopped. He said "Come on, Mindy. They might be at that a while. They are two of the kissiest people I've ever known." confirming what I thought I had heard as I held my hand out and I couldn't help the giggle that escaped me.

"I can't see you so you'll have to help me." I told him and felt him gently take my hand. I scooted over until I felt the edge of the seat and told him, "I'm so very glad this blindness is only a temporary thing. I couldn't deal with not being able to see all the time. What's your name?"

"Kevin. I'm a prospect here so I don't have a road name yet." Kevin told me.

"Well, nice to meet you Kevin. Are you wanting to become a patched member?" I asked him as he slowly led me over to the clubhouse.

"Oh yes. Very much so. It will be the first real family I've ever had. Okay there are two steps here so lift your foot." He said and I lifted my right foot. "Good, now one more." He said and I was glad when I felt the levelness of the porch.

"What does this place look like?" I asked as he slowly led me across a large covered porch. I could tell it was covered because of the temperature change when we stepped into the shade of it.

"Imagine a very large log lodge. It's three stories high and has over 100 bedrooms and over 100 bathrooms. There's also a games room, a movie room, two living rooms, one for members and guests and one that's just for family members with kids. I'm sure someone will show you around when you are able to see again." Kevin said as I heard him open a large wooden door and lead me inside. I could tell we had entered the house because the temperature of the air changed. It was nice and cool in here while it had been hot outside, even under the shade of the covered porch.

I couldn't help but wonder where the man who had stepped up behind me at Sonic's had gone. I'd felt a strange warmth run all over my body when he had stepped close to me and I could smell his cologne. It smelled like a mixture of leather and mahogany woods, I think. It smelled really good and his presence had made me feel so safe.

Just then Doc came up to me and said "Hi Mindy. It's me, Doc. Let's take you down the hall here to the clinic and get some xrays of your ribs, okay?" Doc said and I just nodded my head.

Kevin led me as we followed Doc down a very long hallway. "Geez. Does this place have an end to it?" I said when it seemed like we had been walking for a while. I didn't want to say anything but I was starting to feel very winded.

I heard Doc chuckle "It is a way to get down here, isn't it. But here we are. Okay, Kevin. If you can wait outside, please. Maybe go find Dixie and find out what room she'll be staying in. This will take a few minutes. Knock before you come back in."

"Okay, Doc. I'll be back." Kevin said and then left.

Doc then said "Mindy, I know you can't see her but this is my wife, Millie. She's also my nurse. Honey, this is Mindy, the young lady we rescued this morning. She has some badly bruised ribs that I need to have some x-rays done. Can you please help her remove her shirt and bra and put on a gown? Then get her in place for the x-ray. I'm going to get the machine set up." I heard his footsteps walk away.

"Okay. Hi Mindy. Welcome to the MSMC. Here, I have a gown for you right here. Just take off your shirt and bra and I'll help you get this on." Millie said. She sounds like a very sweet person and I wish I could see her.

"This blindness is very frustrating. I hate not being able to see." I told her as I slipped out of my clothes. She helped me put on the hospital gown and then took my hand and led me just a few steps over and positioned me how she wanted me to stand.