MSMC Bk 6 - Chapter 17

Chapter 17-Ambitious Wedding & Baptism idea!

Kaylee's POV

The next morning I was up before Boomer and after a quick visit to the water closet, I ran through the shower and then got dressed. Hopefully, he would take the opportunity to sleep in a bit and I would be able to surprise him with breakfast in bed.

When I got downstairs, thankfully Claire and Circuit were there and breakfast was almost done. I pulled the tray out, got two coffee cups and began setting everything up after I greeted both of them with a very happy "Good morning!"

"Good morning! What's got you floating on a cloud this morning?" Claire smiled at me. She had made french toast this morning in addition to bacon, sausage and eggs. As I made our plates, then poured our coffee and some orange juice, I told them,

"Oh, I just woke up in a really good mood this morning. I'm hoping I can surprise Boomer with breakfast in bed this morning." I didn't want to say anything to anyone about what Ben and I had discussed last night until I had it all set in place.

"Somebody must have performed well last night." Circuit teased and I gave him a wink, picked up our tray and made my way back upstairs. As I entered our room, Ben was just coming out of the bathroom.

"Wow. What's this? I'm not sick!" He smiled at me as he walked forward to take the tray from me.

"No you definitely are not. I just wanted to do something nice for you after last night. After we eat, I'm going to call the minister first to make sure he can perform our wedding on the 8th of next month and then I'm going to call Dr. Green. I've got a good feeling that everything is going to work out.

Oh, I just thought of something. I'll have to get online and make our reservations for our honeymoon. Sometime today, I'll have to go to the hospital and turn in my notice. I wonder how they are going to react that I'm not really giving them a full 30 day notice." I told him.

"If they don't want to lose the funding from the club, then they won't say anything. There wouldn't be a hospital if it wasn't for our helping them to rebuild it. You should have seen it about 12 or 15 years ago. Man, you talk about a dump! If you went in with a simple cut, you were almost guaranteed to come out with an infection and more than likely a cold. And they only had 2 floors.

They actually chose a new site and started all over from the ground up. We donated a lot of labor but not all and they paid for the materials with a grant they got from the state." I told her, reliving those memories in my mind. "Rooster, Ox, Hunter and I were still in school and Eagle was in the marines. King was already on the down slope with his health and Rooster was spending all of his free time trying to learn how to run this place.

An awful lot happened that year. Doc's wife, Amy, was killed in a one car accident and he lost it. Dove into a bottle of whiskey and it was King who pulled him out of it. We all graduated high school, except for Dixie. Her parents fought them about getting married at first but it was more her mother than her father.

During the war with the Cobras and Vipers, King's VP had been killed along with the rest of King's executive staff and a bunch of the original club members. I think of the original club there are only about maybe 10 guys that were left when we finally stopped running drugs and began cutting down on the gun running. That's a very lucrative way to make money but damn is it dangerous." He told me as we finished up our breakfast.

"So who actually started the child rescue part?" I asked as I finished off my coffee and started to pick up the tray and sat it on the side.

"Oh, King and his crew started it but it was usually only babies or toddlers or teenaged boys that wanted to prospect for the club. The cops didn't call us, we called them to come pick them up, not the other way around. Now people call us directly or if there's something that the cops can't handle, they call us. They don't go looking for the human trafficking rings the way we do. If they fall into their laps then they'll do something about it which is usually to call us." He explained.