Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I marched into the foyer and picked up an iron poker leaning next to the fireplace. Nico and his security team were too busy with Jacques to notice what I was doing.

I ran at Rudolph as he hurled insults at Jacques. I raised the poker in the air, intending to bring it down on his big fat stupid head. But, before I could deliver the skull-crushing blow, Rudolph's sister dove in front of me, flinging her frail arms tightly around my neck.

"Please, you majesty," she sobbed. "Please spare my brother. Do not hurt him."

The red mist fell from my eyes, and I looked down at the heavily pregnant girl. She appeared exhausted, with dark rings around her bright grey eyes. Her fingers clawed at my shirt as she cried, "Please don't hurt him."

"For God's sake, Gwendolyn, stop your whimpering," Rudolph snapped at his sister.

I lowered the poker to my side as the rage left my body. Gwendolyn removed her hands from me and placed them protectively over her pregnant bump. "Forgive my brother. He cannot help who is."

This was the first time Gwendolyn had spoken to me. Her voice trembled with fear, and she quickly lowered her gaze to the floor when Casper appeared next to me and removed the poker from my hand.

"Come now, my love," he whispered into the shell of my ear. "You are not a murderer."

The words 'you are not a murderer' echoed inside my head like a loud bell. I gazed down at the poker and noticed the iron had bent from where I had been gripping it tightly. If Gwendolyn hadn't stopped me, I would have brought that iron down so hard on Rudolph's head, I would have cut him in half.

Casper's placed his hands on my shoulders and said, "Sophie, this isn't you."

The murderous rage died inside me. I didn't want to kill Rudolph in front of his sister. I didn't want to kill someone just because I couldn't control my temper or strength.

"Sophie, it's okay," a small voice called out.

I lifted my head to see Christie standing next to Rudolph. she was forcing a smile for my benefit, but I could see the purple bruises that marred her pale, freckled skin from where Rudolph had gripped her arm too tight.

The rage inside me started to simmer. Christie deserved better than this. Jacques deserved better. But for some reason, Casper had no appetite to fight for his friends or family.

"This isn't over," I snapped at Rudolph, who had the sense to cower behind his sister and mother. "You'll live today, but I swear to God, I will find a way to destroy you if you do not return Christie to me."

Rudolph swallowed hard at the threat and quickly snapped his fingers at a couple of servants nearby to bring his car around.

With a mask of calmness, I then turned to Casper. He was standing beside me, holding the poker with fear in his eyes. I leaned forward, snatched the poker from his hand, and pointed it at his heart.

Panicked gasps from servants and guards echoed through the foyer. A few guards rushed towards me, but Casper ordered them to stay back. Nico, however, did not do as he was told. With one hand on the poker, he was between us in a second.

"Stop this, Sophie," he urged.

When I refused to let go, he said in a low voice, "I remember my promise."

I didn't understand what he meant for a moment, but then I remembered that I had made him promise to look out for Jacques. Did that mean he was going to try and help Jacques?

My hand loosened its grip on the poker. I looked into Casper's eyes and said, "I will never forgive you for this."

I threw the poker to the floor and stormed up the stairs to my bedroom.