Chapter 10: Kindness

You wiped the sweat from your forehead and released a heavy sigh when you stood up with a loud pop in your back. All morning you had spent scrubbing the kitchen floor after a very unfortunate explosion of batter; you wanted to bake something sweet to give Donna but learned you have the baking skills of a toddler. Thankfully Angie was in a giving mood and was willing to buy something from the village, on the condition you cleaned up your mess. As soon as you drained the water from your mop bucket, Angie walked into the kitchen and put a wicker basket on the counter. You turned around and smiled as she pulled out some covered pastries, cookies, even a small cake; all which made your mouth water.

"Wow Angie, you went all out." You complimented.

"Who said this was all for you?" She answered.

You paused for a moment then snickered, "never took you for having a sweet tooth."

"There's a lot you don't know about me and I intend to keep it that way. Now, take the cake and get out of my kitchen."

"Yes ma'am."

You tore off the cleaning apron to hang up on the wall to dry then picked up the cake and fast-walked out into the hallway. As you approached the workshop you heard soft humming, it was the same tune you had heard previously when you caught Donna playing the piano. Carefully you pushed open the door and watched for a moment: Donna sat at her workbench humming to herself, she was completely lost in whatever she was working on. You crept in and cleared your throat to alert her of your presence; she shot up quickly and grabbed some nearby cloth to cover whatever was in front of her. She turned around to meet your narrowed eyes before her eye fell on the cake in your hands, she gave you a soft smile while she leaned against the desk.

"What are you working on?" You asked innocently.

"It's a surprise." She answered shortly, "what do you have there?"

"It's a surprise." You mocked.

She scowled but didn't move, she watched you set the cake on her work table in the middle of the shop then tilt your head. She started to walk over but you grabbed the cake to hide behind your back, Donna scowled and crossed her arms with a soft huf.

"I'll tell you if you tell me what you were humming. It's the same one you were playing on the piano." You looked around, it just occurred to you that the piano wasn't anywhere to be seen, "speaking of...where is the piano?"

Donna tensed for a moment, "it's one of the first songs I learned to fully play." She caught your curious look, "the piano was a gift for Lady Dimitrescu."

You hummed then put the cake on the table, "I hope you like chocolate."

Donna looked at the cake curiously, she tilted her head then looked up at you like a child, "but..it's not my birthday."

"You can have cake on days other than your birthday." You laughed.

Donna gave you a cheeky grin then stood upright, "I appreciate the surprise, but that still doesn't explain why you brought me a cake."

You shrugged, "felt like it? I can take it away if you don't want it." You started to reach for it but Donna was quicker.

"I didn't say that.." she mumbled.

You chuckled and clapped your hands together, "we can eat it before we work!"

"Work?" Donna asked.

"Yes, you're going to help me in the greenhouse remember? But first we need to get you some gardening clothes. You can't do yard work in the outfits you wear, not that you don't look good or stunning even. I mean-" Donna put her finger on your mouth to stop your rambling.