Ch4: The Fairytale Princess

Ahh, the fresh cool wind of the countryside. I can hardly believe I was able to pull away from all the work that had piled up due to the complete negligence of my position as Queen. Truth be told, I haven't done much towards the running of the country since building it. I've instead dumped that work on my daughters, as unintentional as that might have been, and used the free time to do whatever my heart desired. I wonder if my daughters resent me for it...

Me: Perhaps I'm not fit to be Queen.

Amelia, sitting beside me, nearly has a heart attack at my words, and it's only then that I notice my thoughts have spilt out. 

Amelia: W-what are you saying, Your Majesty?

Me: I was just thinking about things-

Amelia: If I knew the workload was weighing this heavily on your mind, I would have organised this vacation myself!

Me: It's not-

Amelia: Please let me know the next time you're feeling stressed!

Me: But-

The poor woman collapses to her knees before me, taking my hand in hers as she looks up into my eyes with desperation.

Amelia: Promise me!

I let out a deep sigh which only seems to terrify the woman further and as she tries to find out what caused such a heavy sigh, I can't help but laugh. My laughter puzzles her but seeing her struggle to comprehend my actions only further intensifies the joy I feel.

Me: Relax, Amelia. I won't be abdicating the throne. Besides, I doubt the citizens of Solis would accept any other ruler besides me.

Amelia: Yes. An abdication would start a civil war followed soon after by a war which would engulf the entire world as the citizens seek out the one responsible for your sudden decision to abdicate. The only thing that could be worse than an abdication is your abduction so try not to put yourself in harm's way while we're on this trip.

Me: That's what Camille is here for. 

Camille: Hmm?

Me: I was just telling her that you're here so that I don't need to worry about things such as my own safety.

Camille rolls her eyes before returning to polishing her sword. We're on a public train this time and though we've reserved three cars for our party and its luggage, she's still on edge as though she expects we'll be attacked at any given moment.

I try to get her to relax a little but to no avail. As such, I resolve to simply rest for now and as I look for a place to rest my head now that Lucille is not with me, I come across Joanne speaking with the other maids. With a smirk, I make my way over to them, ignoring their polite greetings as I sit down before planting my head in Joanne's lap, much to everyone's surprise.

Me: Don't mind me. Feel free to continue as though I'm not here.

They're all stunned into silence but as I drift off to sleep with the aid of Athena, I am distinctly aware of Joanne's efforts to keep my ridiculously long hair from touching the ground. The other maids also come to her aid, each taking a portion of my hair in their own laps as they all fawn over their fantasies of a relationship between me and Joanne, much to the latter's embarrassment.

...

...

...

Joanne: Your Majesty...we're arriving shortly.

Joanne gently rocks me as though I'm a delicate flower, much to Athena's delight and as the latter goes off on how perfect we'd be as a couple I can't help but wonder why Camille hasn't berated me for my actions as yet.