Demon Wolf

Sam nervously lingered just outside of the door of the animal clinic.

She'd been there since before the the business had opened.

The clinic was only open for a short time on Sundays.

She reached for the handle and then stopped again.

Closing her eyes, she focused only on her hearing to make sure Dr. Deaton was alone -aside from the animals there in his care.

Finally, she grabbed onto the handle and pulled the door open.

Her eyes flicked up to the bell on the door to alert there was a customer.

"Sam?" Dr. Deaton greeted with a questioning look as he emerged through the doorway leading back into the exam room area.

"Hi!" She tried to plaster on a smile but the pitch of her voice raised.

When she didn't say anything else, he asked, "Is everything okay?"

She opened her mouth to say she was fine.
Knee-jerk response.

But then her gaze dropped to the floor.

She wasn't okay.
She was a lot of things; lost, scared, haunted apparently -but she wasn't fine.

"Samantha?" He repeated the question, his voice quiet with concern.

He took a few steps closer. Cautious.
Like she were a spooked animal that might take off at the smallest movement.

"I, uh..." Sam tucked her hair behind her ears, "I didn't know where else to go."

Changing her mind, she laughed, "I should probably go." She motioned towards the door, "I'm sure you're busy and-"

"You must have come here for a reason." He interrupted, walking out from the behind the desk and observing, "You seem incredibly troubled."

Troubled. Haunted. Crazy.
Take your pick.

"When Derek came to see you about me. How much did he tell you about what's going on?" She asked.

"Not much," Deaton admitted with a small smile, "He was about as forthcoming with information as you're being right now."

The comment brought a smile to Sam's lips.

"Do you believe in ghosts?"

When he gave her a questioning look, Sam caved and offered up more information, "Do you remember Matt Daehler?"

"Considering his actions, it would be hard not too." Deaton reasoned.

He'd been the one controlling Jackson as the kanima.
Held up the police station with a gun.

"I saw him last night." Sam said, her eyes growing wide as she spoke.

She thought he might laugh at her.

But instead he looked around the room and questioned, "Are you seeing him right now?"

"No!" Sam exclaimed.
Her eyes darted around the room just to make sure.

She explained the dream, more like nightmare, she'd had in as much detail as she could remember.

When he asked her what made her so sure this was real and not just a nightmare, Sam shook her head, "I can't explain the how, but it was real. He was real."

How she desperately wished it wasn't.

Nodding and seeming to accept what she was saying as fact rather than the ramblings of an insomniac, Deaton questioned, "You were close with him, correct?"