Christmas amends [Christmas Special]

Start from the beginning

"She hates me now." You say bitterly, sighing sadly, and Natasha lets out a giggle. "Of course she doesn't." She retorts with amusement and shakes her head when you look at her incredulously. "Couples fight, Y/n. Especially when the parties are inexperienced like you two. The question is whether or not you two are willing to make up."

"I am, but I have no idea how to." You respond hopelessly. "You're a smart kid, I'm sure you'll figure it out." Nat reassures you, a warm smile on her lips, and you smile back, grateful.

"Besides, what better time for reconciliation than Christmas?" She says humorously, but you immediately widen your eyes, standing up suddenly. "Shit."

"What?" Natasha asks, worried, and you look at her in distress. "It's Christmas! I can't fuck up Christmas!" You speak, exasperated, and Nat giggles. "You better hurry up and fix it then."

You nod in agreement then, walking toward the exit, but stop immediately afterwards. When you turn to Nat again, she looks at you curiously. "Can you be my driver?"

⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅

Wanda paces back and forth across the room, her face streaked with tears.

It has been hours since you left, the sky outside completely darkened by the night, and still no sign of you.

The redhead has called you several times, every call going to voicemail. After a few missed calls, the witch started leaving messages, and she had left who knows how many by the time she started recording the next one.

"Y/n, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I just... I was so angry at what you said about Pietro. But I didn't mean it. I'm sorry." She stops, her voice breaking with tears, the next words coming out in a pleading whisper. "Please don't leave me alone for Christmas."

"I won't." You reply and Wanda immediately turns to the sound of your voice, seeing you standing in front of the door. You open your mouth to speak, but are interrupted by the redhead running up to you, hugging you tightly. You reciprocate without a second thought.

"I'm so sorry, my love." You say after a while, pulling away from her just enough to have her looking at you, your hand moving to the side of her face.

"Of course it wasn't your fault, I just lost my head and said what I shouldn't have. But it's not true." You say, wiping a tear from her cheek as your own fall. "The truth is that I love you and the only reason I got mad was because I could've lost you this morning. I can't lose you."

"I can't lose you." Wanda then says, her hands coming up to your face to caress your cheekbones, wiping away your tears as well. "Do you know how scared I was when I saw those people shooting at you? I thought you would die."

"But I wouldn't, honey. I can heal myself. That was the reason I was the bait in the first place." You explain, rationally, but the redhead shakes her head briskly. "I just... What if your healing ability failed at that time?"

"That would be really bad luck." You reply amid a chuckle, running your thumb gently down the side of her face. "That's not how it works, though. It's in my DNA, it won't fail."

"You don't know that." Wanda insists, her chin trembling with the crying she tries unsuccessfully to hold in, and you smile tenderly at her. "Yes I do. Even if I wanted it to stop, it wouldn't."

The only thing you get in response is a small, unconvinced smile in return, but you feel that this is already an advance. But then, your chest hurts. "What I don't know is what I would've done if I had lost you."

Wanda sighs at your words, and your tears become more violent. "If one of those bullets hit my heart I'd be back in less than a minute. But if it hit yours..." Your sentence dies with a sob, the crying taking over as the idea of losing her occupies your mind.

"But it didn't." Wanda says, holding your face more firmly, yet still gently, in an attempt to comfort you. "But it could have." You insist, your voice breaking. At a loss for words, Wanda smiles sadly, tears rolling down her face as she rests her forehead against yours.

You allow yourself to enjoy her closeness, your hand reaching down to her waist to pull her nearer. But then you pull away again. "Love, listen to me. I'm not asking you not to worry about me, I know I never could."

"You really couldn't." She confirms with determination, making you giggle. Wanda smiles at the sound. "I care about you just as much as you care about me. That's why we're so good together in the field, we'll always protect each other." Wanda nods in confirmation and you smile pleadingly afterwards.

"But I need you to trust me. I could never hold up a building like you can. And you can't take on an army with open arms like I can." You say and Wanda watches you cautiously.

"Don't put yourself on the line for me," you ask and, noticing that the redhead is about to object, you add, "not when it's something I can handle." You see the uncertainty dancing across Wanda's features, until she finally replies, "I'll try."

"That's all I ask." You say with a grateful smile that the redhead returns with an affectionate one. But then your smile falters. "I'm sorry I snapped at you this morning, and especially sorry for saying... that. I didn't mean it. I hope you can forgive me."

"I forgive you," Wanda replies, stroking your cheekbones again, and you sigh in relief, "if you forgive me too. I said things I shouldn't have as well and I'm truly sorry."

"It's okay." You reply, holding one of her hands in yours and depositing a long kiss on her palm, making Wanda smile fondly. "I love you so much, Wanda." You say wholeheartedly, causing the smile on the redhead's face to widen exponentially.

"I love you more than anything in the world, baby." She says before leaning in and connecting her lips to yours. You both smile against the kiss, happiness and relief being poured out there. When the kiss is over, you pull away.

"Now." You begin, taking one of the Santa Claus hat and placing it on Wanda's head. The redhead watches the action with a mixture of curiosity and amusement. But when you take the other one and put it on your own head, Wanda giggles.

"Let's have a nice, quiet, cliché Christmas, shall we?" You suggest, raising the basket in your hand. Wanda smiles fondly at the heap of Christmas goodies and DVDs of Christmas specials from her favorite sitcoms.

"Yes, we shall." She agrees, raising her eyes to yours again, and you smile.

A few minutes later you and Wanda are snuggled up in bed, the two of you sharing some candy while some old sitcom plays on the television.

As the redhead absently draws a few circles around your waist, her head resting on your chest, you smile, remembering Nat's words.

All that matters is that love wins in the end, and you and Wanda had plenty of love to make this happen.

───── ⋅ ✮ ⋅ ─────

I hope you enjoyed it! Thoughts and comments are always welcome ツ

You can also find me on Tumblr (@abimess) and on AO3 (@abimess)