Christmas amends [Christmas Special]

Start from the beginning

"Oh, no, go ahead." You interrupt, your eyes burning with tears and your skin burning with anger. "Tell me how the right thing to do would've been to willingly join a terrorist organization."

"That has nothing to do with the subject." Wanda retorts through clenched teeth, the heat of the fight taking away the weight of the redhead's earlier sentence. You laugh dryly. "Of course not, the past is only relevant when it strengthens your arguments, isn't it?"

And so you both start shouting, one talking over the other, defending your arguments tooth and nail, completely ignoring the impact of the words coming out of your mouths.

"God, you're impossible!" You speak several minutes later, your hands buried in your hair as anger prevents you from reasoning. "If you weren't so stubborn things would be so much easier, maybe Pietro would even still be alive!"

Wanda gasps and in a moment of lucidity you widen your eyes, regret creeping through every atom of your body. You take a faltering step forward. "Wanda, I-"

"You know what, you're right." The redhead interrupts you, immediately taking a step back to put distance between the two of you. "I should've let you die, then we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"I know you don't mean that." You say, swallowing the hurt, sadness and anger fighting inside you to see who prevails.

"You don't know shit." The redhead retorts through clenched teeth, her eyes glaring angrily at you, and you let out a humorless chuckle. "Well, in this case then I'll spare you from my presence and leave."

Without giving Wanda space to say anything else, you leave the bedroom immediately afterwards, and hear no response as you walk away.

⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅ ⋇ ⋅

"This doesn't seem like a very Christmassy setting."

You smile sadly at the voice behind you.

After your fight with Wanda, you came to your old home. Or rather, what is left of it.

With the disappearance of your parents and soon after yours, your home was abandoned. And now, several years later, all that remained was rubble and wreckage.

You sat on the bench in the backyard as soon as you arrived and have remained in that position ever since, the argument with Wanda replaying in your mind painfully.

"I'm not in a very Christmassy mood myself." You retort as soon as Nat sits down by your side. The mentor, who has come to meet you in this place several times in the past, smiles the same gentle smile as always, and you try to reciprocate it as best you can.

"And that has something to do with the yelling this morning I suppose." She suggests knowingly, but without pressuring you to talk, and you sigh. "I talked shit, Nat."

"You sure did." She confirms, a hint of humor in her voice, and you grimace, shoving your face in your hands afterwards. Nat gives you a reassuring pat on your back. "But so did she."

"I didn't mean to, you know." You say, lifting your face from your hands, but keeping your gaze away from your mentor's. "I spent so much time trying to help her let go of this idea of guilt only to bring it back because of a stupid fight."

You swallow heavily, trying unsuccessfully to push away the huge lump in your throat. "I just got so angry that she brought up my past, she knows how traumatic it is for me." You justify, but then sigh in surrender. "Then I went and did the same thing."

"Relationships are like that, you know?" Nat says next, giving your arm a gentle squeeze, beckoning you to look at her. When you do, she continues. "A lot of mistakes until you get it right. What matters is that love wins in the end. What matters is that one does everything to see the other happy. And there's plenty of that in the two of you."