Chapter 4

THROWBACK 1 year ago----

"How dare you!" I growled. How dare he treat Brenna like that, like she was dirt. We were all, supposed to be best friends. She deserved much better than him, yet she didn't want anyone else. Mostly because he threatened her every time she tried leave, that he'd tell her secrets.

"Se deserves it! She's been hoeing around with the entire football team! She deserves to pay!"

"She's not like that and you know it! Stop it! Wo the hell are you? You aren't the Hayden I used to know."

"No, Hannah. I'm not. Because of here! She's changed me!"

I gently picked up the metal bat that was leaning against the wall of the rickety garage. The metal was cool on my hands, as my fingers curled around the handle. I lifted it slightly, Hayden looked at me shock all over his face.

"Hannah...? What are you doing?" He stammered.

"What I should've done a long time ago." I lifted the bat and swung. It connected with the side of his head with a dull thud. His body went limp and sunk to the floor. I stood there for a few moments, stunned at what I just did. Then I turned around and looked at Brenna who was standing in the doorway and looked about ready to bolt.

I turned to her and in the calmest voice I could manage I said, "We need to call an ambulance. They'll help him, we'll just tell them it was an accident ok? We were playing baseball and he was tanning too close and I hit him. Come on we'll go call an ambulance."

"Hannah, you might've killed him."

"I know but were gunna try to save him ok?"

"Alright..." She said uneasily.

My heart was pounding in my chest, I was starting to get light headed. He was loosing a lot of blood. A LOT of blood. I decided to have Brenna stay back and apply pressure to his head to help stop the bleeding. In the mean time I ran inside, grabbed my cell phone and dialed 911, told the operator that my friend was hurt and needed an ambulance. I ran back outside to Brenna who was hysterical, I tried to console her but it didn't work.

"I saw you!" She screamed.

"Bre, it's going to be ok."

"No, it's not! You hit him so hard his brain probably died! What the hell were you thinking?!" She yelled with tears streaming down her face.

"I wasn't! He fucking hurt you! He needed to pay, I don't take my threats lightly. When you two first started dating I told him that if he ever hurt you I was going to hurt him, and that's what I did! I thought you'd be happy!"

"I'm not fucking happy Hannah! I love him! It was just a spat we were having, it was going to pass. Now I won't be able to apologize to him like usual. Fuck you Hannah!"

"Brenna... Please, don't shut me out. I'm helping you."

"Hannah you don't get it. Go to hell!"

We both sat there in silence. We got into the ambulance and were both permitted to ride with him. On the way there I told them that were playing baseball and when he went to swing for his turn that he hit himself in the head. They seemed to buy it and Brenna gave me the death glare, but no one saw it. Thank god. She thought I should tell the truth, but I couldn't. I couldn't go to jail, I was only a junior in high school.

After we had arrived at the hospital we had to wait in the waiting room, a nurse later came out and told us that he had passed, he had lost too much blood. Brenna was stone faced and I was shocked. That's when I realized how severe everything was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't expect that now did ya? I'll try to update once a day until this story is done. Please comment and vote!

~~Hann