I've always wanted a tattoo

There was something enticing about the smell of flowers for Jake. As soon as he stepped through the door, he felt at home.

"How are you today, Jake?"

Tom was the store manager or Iceman as everyone called him. Despite being a few years older than Jake, he didn't act like it.

I'm fine, Iceman. But you know how much I like the name Hangman."

"Get it tattooed on your body. Like your wrist. That way you can show me every time I mess up."

"When is my next free day?"

"Friday."

The store wasn't going to open until nine, and it was only eight thirty.

"Think we're gonna be busy today?"

"It's Wednesday. It's midweek, so I don't think we'll be getting too many."

Thirty minutes passed very quickly in Jake's mind. Iceman was in the back office, doing paperwork, while Jake was stuck manning the desk.

Jake heard the bell ring at the door but didn't bother greeting the person. He'd give the customer a few minutes to look around before he'd ask any questions.

Jake heard the footsteps stop and start again regularly, and even pacing back at some points. Once a few minutes had passed, Jake stood out at the counter and found the customer.

"Good morning sir,"

The man looked away from the flowers and turned to Jake.

"Anything particular today?"

The man was shorter than Jake, he had dark brown hair and green eyes.

"Not really. Is there anything that kind of symbolizes "love" and things like that?"

"There are plenty of flowers with a meaning of love. Any particular color?"

"Blue?"

"Forget-me-nots. They are a very pretty blue and mean true love, And as the name suggests, hope never to be forgotten."

"Any white ones? That I can take with the blue? They like ice."

"White lilacs. Go great with bouquets and represent youth and purity."

"Great. How much?"

"$25. Just come to the counter while I get your flowers. Is a black ribbon okay?"

"Yeah. Are there cards at the front desk?"

"Mhmm!"

Jake got the flowers and wrapped the ribbon around the stems, holding them together.

The man handed over the exact cash and finished writing the card.

"Who's it for? If you don't mind me asking."

"My partner. We've been dating for six months and I'd like to show that I have been paying attention to dates."

Jake chuckles at the statement. He definitely struggles with dates.

"Well, I'm sure they'll love them."

The man smiles and puts the cards in the flowers. Promptly leaving the store, bell jingles being the only thing that followed.

Four o'clock came faster than Jake expected it to. He dealt with fewer customers than he usually does.

But he expects in two weeks' time, the store will be getting busier since it will be closer to February.

Jake turns off the open sign and heads down to Ice's office.

"Hey Ice. Just letting you know I'm heading out."

"Cool. See you tomorrow."

Jake nods and exits the store. Heading down the street he has seen so many times in his years here in California.

He passes the Cafe, run by Phoenix and Bob. Halo comes to help sometimes as well. Jake likes going there, not only to hang out with his friends but because he actually likes their coffees.

He passes the restaurant owned by Fanboy and Payback. He eats there sometimes. But he doesn't get a discount, which is why he doesn't visit often. How much do you think Jake makes in a week?

Coyote and Omaha don't work in California, but they do own a bakery in Utah.

Then he passes the new tattoo shop. Jake's always wanted a tattoo, but his momma said he always had to be sure this is what he wanted.

He decided to walk in, see who works there, and see if getting a tattoo is worth it.

A bell rings above his head as enters. The walls are covered in sketches and tattoos. Jake walks up to the counter and a man walks up to him shortly after.

"Good afternoon! Or is it evening?"

"I classify it as afternoon, but it could be evening to you."

"Is there something you need?"

"Yeah, two things. Hey, I'm Jake, but please call me Hangman. I work down the block at the flower shop. I not only came here to introduce myself, but to see if this tattoo shop is actually going to change my mind about getting one."

The man leans onto the counter and chuckles.

"Well, Jake, I'm Bradley, but you can call me Rooster. It's nice to meet you. So you haven't gotten a tattoo before?"

"Nope. My momma says it's better to get something I really want. I actually have a few ideas that I want, but they're probably really basic."

"Hey, you're new to this. A basic generic tattoo is a great start, and it probably won't be something you'll regret."

Jake smiles at him.

"I better get going soon. I have a dog at home."

Jake walks towards the door when he hears Bradley– Rooster speak behind him.

"I hope to see you soon then, Hangman."

Jake smiles to himself and gently waves to Rooster.

Jake walks back to his place, trapped in his head.

You only just met him! You just find him hot. It's not like he feels the same way.

Jake takes out his key and unlocks his door.

Jake's dog is already jumping at him before he even enters the house.

"Bernie! Calm down!"

Bernie was a Bernese mountain dog. Jake got him from the pound two years ago when Bernie was still a puppy, and ever since they've been best buds.

Jake took out his wallet and gently threw it on the kitchen countertop.

Jake took out dog food from the cupboard and poured a healthy amount into Bernies' bowl.

Jake slowly walks over to the couch, not bothering to make something for dinner. He was too busy thinking.

Thinking about Rooster at the tattoo shop.