Chapter 9 - This Isn't What I Planned

Start from the beginning

My I was the overly emotional one at the moment. It was another curse in my family among the women, like the bosom thing. And, like Elvis, it went both ways. I could be a real hot-head, or I could be crying like a baby over nothing. "Uneven hormones," as my mom called them.

"I could do this all day, watching Elvis Presley act in one of his movies... in person!" Alan said, almost like a giddy girl. I had to let out some laughter.

"You're really pathetic, you know that?"

"What? I bet on the inside, you're just as excited."

He didn't need to know that on the inside, my organs were turning to goo at the sight in front of me. Thankfully, Gene got off the set, called "Action!" and Elvis went under again, along with the man helping out his character.

"I admit it's really interesting watching the making of a movie," I said. "Especially one that takes place around where my family's from. That's how I was able to get this part."

"You mean, since you are of Eastern descent, you were chosen for the role?"

"M-hm. Gene wanted authenticity. The other women are beautiful, but I doubt there's any Eastern blood in them, at least the Middle East. My family's from Israel."

Gene nodded. "That's pretty neat. And well... I think I find Middle Eastern women more attractive." My brows creased, and I looked over at him. He saw my expression. "What? I'm allowed to say that since you agreed to dinner, right? After first rejectin' me?"

I pressed my lips together. He gave me the perfect lead-in for what I needed to do. But could I just cancel with him and say that we shouldn't do it, especially after rejecting him and then accepting him? Maybe I should just ease into it.

No. I was a journalist. I was trained to be forthright and step on some toes. "Alan..."

He eyed me for a second with those brown eyes of his, and I knew he was reading me correctly. "Wait, after you just said you would..."

I never knew that I would be such a heartbreaker, and to two hot men. "Look, Alan, I was just caught up in the moment, that's all. Plus, you're leaving in a few days back to the South."

He huffed air out of his nose and folded his arms, and I noticed the muscles in his arms as he did so. WOW. "We discussed this already, and I thought you were okay with it. Plus, goin' out with a very beautiful woman before leavin' would be the cherry on top to this incredible trip. And I mean more than sellin' Elvis Presley a car. That's sayin' somethin'."

I looked over and watched this scene play out, with Elvis and the man playing the thief standing up out of the pond, but they had to duck under again when the guards arrived. My mind reeled with this insane situation. "Gosh, this is a mess..."

"It doesn't have to be," Alan said. "C'mon. Just go to dinner with me once, hm?"

Really, I just wanted to write my story and be done with it, but these two men were making it very difficult. Gene called "cut" and Elvis and the other man came out of the water, and Elvis was handed a towel as Gene talked with them and the men playing the palace guards.

This was so frustrating. I was being so indecisive regarding going out with Alan just because of what Elvis told me. As Gene talked with him and the cast in the scene, Elvis was eyeing me. Maybe I should throw out another reason why I was hesitant about stepping into the dating scene again. First, though, I had to tell Alan the truth.

"Alan," I said, and he turned his head to face me. I met his gaze, and we both faced each other. 
"Look, there was a reason why I accepted you, and I admit, it's really amateurish. I'm ashamed of it, really, since I'm not the type of person to act in such a way."