The Gold Watch

1800

Mary stood staring at the golden pocket watch resting on the merchant’s wagon.  The owner watched her like a hawk, he could tell that she couldn’t afford the item and feared she would steal it. 

He was fortunate enough to come across it on his journey to the small village although the former owner didn’t have such luck, he was attacked by wild animals his bloodied body barley recognizable. 

Mary reached out her fingers and stroked the golden pocket watch before recoiling her hand; the watch was warm to the touch.

  Glancing at the merchant she quickly turned and scurried away from the wagon.  Clutching the basket full of vegetables to her chest Mary hurried home to her mother.

“Mom I’m home,” she announced walking into the small rundown shack. 

“In the kitchen”

“Mother…”

Mary started before looking down trying to gather her thoughts.

 “What is it dear?”

“Well it’s just that my birthday is less than a week away and at a merchant stand I saw this golden pocket watch…”

“Mary!  Now you know we can’t afford such extravagance”

“I know I’m sorry”

Mary set the basket of vegetables down on the small wooden table before going to her room. 

“It’s not fair,” she cried softly sitting on her wooden bed, which is actually too small for her now that she’s grown into a teenager. 

“The Smiths on the farm can afford anything they want but I can’t even get a small pocket watch”

She allowed the salty tears to flow from her eyes, down her cheek, and soak her wolf-fur blanket. 

“Mary Dinner’s ready”

Her younger brother called from the other side of the door.

“Coming” she answered quickly wiping the tears from her face. 

The three of them ate in silence, which was typical ever since herß father was burned at the stake for being accused of using the dark magics. 

Mary knew that her father did use the dark magics, but she never believed that he used them for evil.  When he was alive their family was prosperous, they could afford most anything.  After he was accused and burned at the stake the elders of the village shamed the rest of the family making it nearly impossible for them to make money. As a matter of fact, Mary’s mother is forbidden from going into the village, the people fear that she would place a curse upon the ones who were responsible for her husband’s death.  Mary and her little brother are permitted in the village for shopping, since they were young when it happened and deemed “not a threat” by the elder.

After dinner Mary gathered up the dishes and headed out to the stream to clean them; which was part of her nightly duties, while her brother chopped the firewood to use during the night. 

“Father,” she whispered quietly “why did things happen the way they did?  Why didn’t you use your power to escape from the flames?  Things have been so hard since you left us.  We can barley take care of our selves and the one thing I want for my birthday we can’t afford.  Dad, please lend me your power so that I can take care of our family.”  

Once the dishes were clean, she walked back home making sure to lay they out separately so ensure the wood would dry fully. 

“Good night.  I’m heading off to bed.”