"So Niall reached out to you, but didn't think to give me a call?" I grow more suspicious.

"Well, I don't know. He won't be the main performer. I think he'll sing a song or two with the lead." She fixes her sunglasses. She's a horrible liar.

"Who's the lead, then?" I guess you could say I have a little fear of missing out.

She quickly glances at me before looking back at the car's mirror. She takes a hesitant glance my way once again. "Well..." She seems to have a debate with herself. "It's Amber's new album release One Night Only."

"Oh, really?" I draw out. Truth is, I already knew she had the performance planned. "Does... Does she know you're going?" It suddenly gets quite hot in here. I haven't seen her ever since the bridge on New Year's.

"Not really, no." She shakes her head. "Since Niall gifted me the tickets, I'll be watching it sort of in secret."

"Tickets? As in plural?" I can't stop my investigation.

"Yes?"

"Oh." I lean back in my seat, realizing I've become a bit too tense.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She squeals, having made her assumptions. "I just thought you wouldn't be interested."

"Of course, I'm not." I shrug, unsure why I'm even putting up this act.

"Wouldn't be such a big deal if you were, though." She draws out a heavy breath, looking at me with a foolish grimace.

"You think so?"

"Yeah. Completely normal." She pops a piece of chewing gum in her mouth. "It's only human to be looking out for somebody like her."

She continues after realizing I wasn't going to say anything in response. "On the contrary... I think you should go see her." She catches me off-guard.

Gem doesn't let me stare at her baffled for too long because she continues."You would see how much she's grown, and realize how much you have. I think it'll be great."

"And also, she makes amazing music, so... Make your own conclusions." She shrugs. "I could get extra tickets if you decided to go."

"I'll think about it." I draw my hand over my stubble. "I dunno. We just left everything on horrible terms."

Gem doesn't even hesitate. "She wouldn't have to know you came, though."

"Right." I chuckle, pretending it was a joke when in reality my mind is already running over a few scenarios of how I could show up anonymously.

This might be the worst decision ever made.

~~~

February.
The 14th.

Amber Easton

I've never been tended by so many people.

At the moment, somebody's curling my hair, and another person's doing my eye shadow, while someone else is painting my nails.