Three | Holiday

Rhett

Today keeps getting worse and worse.

Not only was there a lack of communication this morning at the construction site, leaving me to basically get between two of my workers, but a petite blonde has showed up in my front yard.

I know exactly who she is.

Richard's daughter.

He requested to take off the last three weeks of December because his daughter was coming to visit and asked for the next few days off as well to pick her up from the airport. I'm not going to lie, I stopped listening to him when he mentioned taking off from work. It's not that I don't like Richard, he's been great since I took over Stanley's position as Superintendent, but hearing that someone will use their vacation time for a stupid holiday...

Yeah, I said it.

A stupid fucking holiday.

When I stepped outside this morning, seeing my truck covered in snow, I knew today was going to be one of those days. But, why in the hell is she coming over here? To help me? I might be cursing up a fucking storm, but the look on my face should tell her to not bother me right now.

I continue to clean off the hood of my truck when she strides over and stops a few feet in front of me. Her eager voice is rather annoying, which makes me grit my teeth. My molars start to hurt as her words run down my spine.

"Need some help?"

My eyes momentarily close as I gather my thoughts. I try to keep wiping the snow with my gloved hand, but feeling her presence beside me is hard not to acknowledge. When I tilt my head towards her and meet her baby blue eyes, I'm honestly stunned.

She's cute.

I keep my eyes near her face. Taking in every detail and little freckles around her nose. Her light blonde hair is barely hidden under her purple beanie, it's long, laying against her shoulders and covering her chest. I'm beginning to wonder how long I've been looking at her.

I should say something, but damn she's cute.

Which annoys me even more.

"Does it look like I need help?"

There, be an asshole.

She crosses her arms against her coat, staring back at me with disgust. Her nose crunches up at me and I'm starting to think she will take the hint and leave, but instead, she says, "It does, actually."

Damnit, this girl isn't going anywhere.

Without arguing another word, I grab the shovel from the hood of my truck and hand it to her. I swear I saw a grin stretch across her lips, but she looks down to try and hide her amusement. If she thinks she won she's out of her mind.

I don't take the pleasure in someone thinking they got under my skin lightly. Even though that's what she's basically doing. But, I can't show her that. Being an asshole is my specialty and I plan on doing that to everyone.

We don't say another word for a minute or two. I stay near the front and she starts to walk towards the back, scooping snow from the back bumper and working her way to the passenger side. I thought I would like the quiet, but just her being over here is getting rather ridiculous.

"You must be Richard's daughter," I comment when she stands a little closer to me. Why the hell did I even say that? Of course, I know that's his daughter. Maybe we just need some small talk before I lose my mind on the awkwardness.

"Yes," her answer is almost breathless. As if I make her nervous. Good, maybe she won't talk to me again after today. "Mom mentioned to me that you are his boss."