Twenty-Seven

Evangeline sported a light pink, grey and white pleated skirt with a white turtle neck long sleeve and two inch black closed toed heels with a strap. She held her books loosely in front of her against her stomach as she trailed the hallway quietly. Glasses were lifted above her head as she walked through the small crowd of people, hoping to escape before everyone flooded the hallways. 

The bell signaled for lunch and she glanced up to the wall where the speaker was, almost feeling like she saw it buzz but hadn't. Turning down a hall, she passed by Gloria, who jumped into the middle of the hall when she saw her best friend. Evie turned back briefly when a hand was placed to her shoulder and she smiled kindly.

"Hi, Glory." She greeted.

"That's a cute outfit." She nodded, looking her best friend up and down. "How come I only noticed now?"

Evangeline laughed at Gloria. "Maybe if you didn't wake up twenty minutes before class you'd have more time to exchange convo with me in the mornings." She nudged her friend's side.

Gloria giggled. "I like my sleep thank you...Besides, they're always on our back about this or that, hell, can't I just sleep?"

"Don't stay up late."

"Kinda hard when you're on the phone with Dean...Like last night, you were talking forever."

A low eye rolled came from Evie. "It was ten minutes and I was talking to my mom."

"Ugh, fine." She huffed, twirling around and fell against the lockers.

Evangeline brought a hand away from her books, unlocking her own locker and pulled the door open. She shoved her textbooks inside and stacked them neatly, putting the ones she would need after lunch on top of the pile. 

Gloria shifted against the locker, eyeing down the hall at the taller jock casually strolling through with his few friends. The enforcers laughing their heads off as they punched one another's shoulders and the one punch Dean gave to Averman had been too strong. Averman had stumbled into a group of girls as Guy laughed his ass off with Fulton. Glory didn't mind the group of kids, she grew to know them before of Evangeline's involvement with dating a hockey player.

Overall, Glory was definitely happy that Evie found someone to get through the school year with. She was happy the girl had met someone new that wasn't a usual preppy or Eden Hall attendee, it was nice to have new blood around.

Time had gone by and it felt both quick yet slow to Evangeline as she took every day one at a time. Evangeline smiled all the time, but now she found herself smiling for no reason at all whenever she was around her boyfriend. Things just perked up whenever they were around each other, and she saw it with him, too. He was usually discreet about it, but she secretly knew he liked being around her.

She never rushed into things and tried her best to stick around her best friends while still spending time with Dean. Evie didn't want to rush into their relationship and it wasn't because they enemies turned friends, or because of past relationships spooking her, it was the general idea of dating someone and giving them her full, true self. Every raw thing about her was now shared with that person and sometimes, it did scare her a little.

As time went by, Evangeline found herself getting to know Dean a lot more than she expected and she liked hearing about his tales or new information he'd never said before. They sat together at lunch almost every day unless she sat with Gloria, and when she did sit with him, it was with the entire hockey team. It was becoming interesting and fun that she enjoyed being around the Ducks.

Dean Portman approached the girls from the opposing direction, walking up to the lockers where the two girls stood and smacked his hand on his girlfriend's butt. "Hi, Dean." She smiled, knowing by then it was him as he often liked doing that.