One

(A/N: For all you Dean Portman lovers who requested a book. I know it's been well over 2 years for some of you, but it's finally here....Also, this took forever as I accidentally wrote this on my other account and had to copy/paste it to this account...And don't be shy to comment, I actually kinda like this story. I've changed my writing from 1stPOV to 3rdPOV. Hope you all enjoy!)

The first day of school was always one for the books and every student was simply trying to make it to their first class, and shortly after, the end of the first day. Lots of students were still trying to find the entrance to the massive academy while others were double checking their class schedules for the room number.

Most students were back from the year before and for the odd few, it was their first year. High school definitely was scary, but it was the peak of one's teenage years. Many students found high school to be their highlight and their senior year to be the most rewarding, however not everyone saw eye to eye on that specific monumental life moment.

In the hallway, the Junior Varsity Ducks were clogging up the already packed hallways. The team of both nice and brute boys were unaware of just how much they were a nuisance to others. The halls were narrow enough and being the first day, so many kids were struggling to even push by older students.

A smile plastered was across his pale face as he laughed with his friends hysterically. Leaning against several lockers, he along with his jock friends prevented new students from even looking at their assigned lockers.

Hands shoved in his pockets, he stared around at the several different heights his friends owed. The shortest of the boys on his team were no longer that short and made it harder to over look their shoulders.

"...then he dropped by the diner as if I'd be there." Charlie laughed, smacking Averman's shoulder.

"Ow." He whined, lifting a hand to rub his sore arm.

"God, grow some balls, man." Russ shook his head, chuckling.

Fixing his bandana over his hair, Fulton shoved a hand in his pocket and leaned away from the lockers. "Bell rings in two minutes, guys. I'm heading out."

"Aw come on." Goldberg cried out, shaking his head. "Seriously? We're gonna be those guys." He huffed with complain.

"You already were." Dean smacked him with a laugh.

The few boys standing around as pilons had finally decided to move out of the way. Fulton had led the way as several kids moved aside and his friends followed right behind him. While those few had left, the remaining few stayed blocking the halls, still laughing and waiting last minute for the bell to ring.

White and teal jerseys with hues of purple stained the hallway as people recognized the familiar faces. Many greeting them back as they too greeted them, more laughs erupting as the group was just a regular high school click. Nothing too special about them and their Peewee State victory or maybe their World Juniors Gold victory, they gloated every now and then but tried leaving those wins in the past to focus on high school hockey.

Dean glanced down the hall mid laugh, his laugh slowly faded when he spotted a small group of girls travelling toward their direction. He quieted down the more he stared at the girls, finding one girl to outshine the other three.

Luis cocked a brow, turning back to see what the enforcer was staring at. "What's caught your eye, Portman."

Banks also proceeded to turn quietly, hands shoved in the pockets of his khakis and rose a brow as well. "Looks to be the sophomore girls." He chuckled along.

"I mean, I'm not gonna lie and say they're not hot." Guy shrugged casually.

The hockey boys took a moment to indulge in the females that walked by. Few of them looked different than the previous year and it'd been two months since they'd all seen each other. One didn't know how much a short time frame could change certain people.

In particular, Dean Portman found himself oddly looking at them. His eyes sauntered across the hall as the girls walked in step, none of them out of sync from the other, and he stood up straight. He could not help but look at the girl who happened to be in the middle, quietly nodding with a smile as she listened to her friend talk.

The girls had slowly made their way by the hockey team, oblivious to them talking and staring at them. They were too busy giggling about their summer festivities with boys and the beach, proceeded by never ending summer parties. The smiley girls were happy to be back from the summer break together as the two months they'd spent away had been too long.

Giggly and excited girls jumped at the thought of starting off fresh with grades and finding themselves. The blonde on the side tapped her brunette haired friend's side with glee. "He was so hot!" She shot.

"With abs and everything?"

The girl's eyes widened in awe and happiness. "Yes! I wish the summer could've lasted forever."

"I'm to assume he's not from here?" The girl in the middle asked, holding her book bag over her shoulder.

"Sadly, no. He's from Colorado and snowboards, but he's one hell of a surfer, too." She nudged her friend's side. "He taught me a little."

The girl rolled her eyes in awe, butterflies fluttering in her stomach at the thought of a boy who could be so hot yet so kind and gentle. "He seems like a real charmer, Glory." She nods.

"Ohhh, he was." She answered.

"Does this boy have a name?" The third girl, Julianna, asked as she turned to face the girls.

"Adam." She inhaled.

Glory's forbidden crush on the hockey player never ceased to make her freeze up. He never really took a look at her, he was too afraid to bother with girls. He might've been an incredibly good hockey player, but he never found much else about him to be anything worth while. Not in Gloria's case, she awed over the boy with a sweet, gentle personality who didn't fret to put up with a little competition on the ice.

"Banks?" The three girls next to her asked in unison. Each of them stopped in the middle of the hall.

"He doesn't surf."

"Or snowboard."

"Or abs?"

Glory shook her head lowly, the once fun spirted girl fell deep off the end of a diving board when she noticed the boy and his group walking down the hall, away from them. "No. I just forgot he went to our school, too."

The brunette smiled, but didn't get a word out before someone else spoke first. "Well, well, well, ladies." The taller, broad shouldered boy snickered. "Fun to see you four in the halls."

"We go to school here, too." Evangeline answered, pursing her lips.

"Right, right." Dean nods, looking away from her. "Forgot...Hey, I almost didn't recognize you." He points at her.

He never recalled ever seeing her wear a skirt before as she always wore jeans, sweat pants, leggings or a sort of khakis. He was impressed with her knee length black skirt and red turtle neck sweater, a look she somehow pulled off.

She rolled her eyes.

Glory walked by with her friends, grabbing Evangeline's arm. "We're late." She cut the conversation short, not daring to look Adam Banks in the eye as she scoffed at Dean Portman.

The bell had rang.

"Look at that!" Julianna cheered. "Byeeee." She waved, running along down the hall with her friends.