"It's still not to late-"

I hold my hand up, silencing him. "Don't. This is hard enough."

"Alright."

Swallowing past the lump in my throat, I tear my attention from my dress and to him. I have been raked with guilt these past couple weeks, knowing that my marriage to Caspian is hurting Ark and Taven.

"You're strangely calm about this," I say. Part of me expected him to be begging me not to do this, producing all sorts of excuses for why it's a terrible idea.

But over the past few days, Ark has been eerily silent about his protests to my upcoming marriage.

"Divorce exists," he muses simply.

"That won't be happening." Caspian would rather kill me in front of his people than be subjected to the shame of being divorced. My father wouldn't accept me back into his manor anyways. I would be homeless.

He only smiles. It's a look so unlike him, even if it isn't warm. It's dark and telling.

"We'll see."

"You always look like you know more than you say," I mutter, turning to look out the window. It's a perfectly gloomy day to match my mood.

There is no escaping this either. Not even a honeymoon. There is nothing romantic about this union.

"That's because I do."

"Let me guess, you won't share?"

"Time is our friend, Kiva. Just wait and see," he murmurs. He's so dreadfully calm I could be deceived into thinking he doesn't care for me any longer.

There is more to this than that conclusion, though. I can feel it deep inside.

"You're so weird," I sigh, adjusting a pin that is jammed into my scalp.

Ark may be planning something terrible, but I don't have it in me to care, or even to be curious. He can burn this manor down with me in it and I doubt I would feel anything beyond this endless misery.

It's my own fault. I've done this to myself.

"Be safe tonight, alright," Ark breathes solemnly, stepping toward the door.

"I'll try," I mutter, turning back to the mirror.

He lingers by the door for a moment longer. "You'll get through this."

I muster a smile but it's weak and pathetic. As Ark leaves, I wonder if there is anymore to be said between us. After this marriage, everything is going to change, and him not bringing it up is making me anxious.

I stare at myself in the mirror, summoning a breath. "Let's get this over with."

The ceremony passed in a blur.

Far too many people I don't know came and witnessed the awkwardly exchanged vows and uncomfortable kiss. If any of them cared, they would have seen my reluctance.

But of course, the issue never came up.

After the ceremony, I sat though a boisterous party where everyone got drunk and forgot they are meant to be people of noble birth.

Ark didn't come near me the entire night. He just watched at a distance, giving me comforting smiles when I glanced his way.

The night has now drawn to a close, and before everyone has been filtered out, Caspian wraps his arm around me and leads me upstairs.

Panic immediately blooms from where it had been seated deeply inside me all night.

I knew this was coming, and now I can't seem to find an excuse to get out of it. Most noble marriages are consummated, even if the two people involved are not in love.