Jax climbed atop the tire much less gracefully and fell three times down the fence wall. One of the times, he hit it with too much force and was sent flying back several feet. Another, he jumped high enough but was unable to accomplish the 'over ' it part.

"This time, concentrate all your weight in your back paws. Only push fowards a tiny bit, and put more of your strength into going up high enough." Flare commented after she had watched all of the failed attempts.

"Hey, that was my line," Shadow teased again. Flare met his gaze and felt fondness for her friend. This was exciting.

But she could almost guess that he was trying to distract her from her own jump, or perhaps even his. The tan dog knew she was going to be beside herself with worry about Shadow's injured leg. How would he pounce nearly as strong enough if he couldn't use one of them?

Then the sound of Jax's scrabbling claws against rubber caused her to look up. The black-and-white bully breed's stomach hit the top of the fence and caused him to somersault over the other side.

Shadow laughed, his tail whirlwinding in a wag all the while. "At least he made it over. Now you can go."

Flare looked at his dark brown eyes, and could see nothing but confidence in them. He knows we can make it over if they did.  She heard the sound of Jax chattering to Grey Dog on the other side of the fence, but ignored it.

Shadow's body was enveloped in a thick fog. She knew they were out of time, but her old nervous self was trying to tear its way out.

"What if there's something worse on the other side? Or The Man finds us.... or we get captured or killed by something... Suppose we-"

Shadow shook his head softly, interrupting her. He looked at the top of the fenceline, then back down at Flare.

"Remember what you used to say? Nothing could be worse than this."

Flare thought about that and then nodded.

Choice. Choice is what's outside The Yard. I'll get to choose where I live. I'll get to choose who I hang out with. I'll get to choose what I eat, and when... And I'll get to choose who I want as a mate. Or whether I want one at all!

Suddenly all of her doubts were washed away in a new light of certainty: This was better. She could run miles away from Crow, she could-

Crow. Flare hadn't even thought of him this morning. She averted her eyes from the silent black blob in the corner of her eye, turned light grey in the mist.

Flare whisked her tail and hmpfed, all-intent on continuing to ignore him as she made a small leap onto the tire that would grant her this freedom.

"Flare--" Crow gasped, then clicked his teeth together as Flare whipped her head around.

"Shut your mouth," she snapped. "Keep it shut for the rest of eternity if you know what's good for you."

Shadow clearly felt no need to intervene, and just watched with hopeful eyes on the fence as Flare prepared to leap.

She crouched so deeply that her elbows poked into her flank, then took a full breath and sprang.

The female dog landed on the fencetop, but didn't catch it with her claws fast enough. She crashed down, bouncing off the tire and rolling into the grass.

With a determined growl, Flare climbed atop the tire and fixed her eyes on the spot where she was going to jump. Her muscles quivered as she crouched.

A loud squeak sliced through the calm serenity of the moment, causing Flare to whip her head towards the dog-houses.